"We're not talking about the same Jack." Rachel looked back at Jack sitting at the table laughing at something that had just been said by Ava and oozing self-confidence.

"Yes we are. He's a master at hiding it, especially from you, but he has his demons." In complete seriousness he stopped dancing and looked down at Rachel. "Tell me, how many times did you wake up to find him gone, and when you did track him down he was sitting in a well-lit room giving you an excuse that he had work to finish, or couldn't sleep and didn't want to wake you?"

Rachel thought back and realized that with Jack it had been a frequent occurrence, so frequent that she eventually stopped tracking him down. She had always thought that he just didn't need a lot of sleep.

"My bet is that he was keeping the nightmares at bay."

Rachel closed her eyes; she was a fool.  She had thought Jack was perfect and didn't need anyone, but he had been as alone as she was only for much longer. She had the sudden urge to run across the room to him and hold him tight. 'But that doesn't mean he loves you', a little voice warned, she was suddenly very confused.

"Talk to me Uncle Bob, talk to me about anything but Jack. Please."

He must have sensed the urgency in her because he started to dance again and launched into a story of one of Ava's latest parties that included a petting zoo. By the time he was done she was laughing so hard she was almost crying. After the second song ended he guided her across the room, telling her about how the local news columnist, who no one liked, who had crashed the party, had ended up in a large pile of horse poo.

When he reached the table he asked Diana to dance, and she was so shocked she that she agreed before she had even realized it. Rachel smiled as she watched Bob and Diana dance.  It looked as if he was charming her too, and when Rachel looked away she looked right into Jack's eyes. Rachel searched their depths as if in that one moment she could learn all of the secrets she had missed over the last seven years and everything would be instantly explained.

"Jack dance with me," Ava insisted as she rose.

Jack stood, smiling down at Ava. "Of course."

Rachel and Dr. Lancaster both watched as Jack led Ava out on the dance floor. Ava was talking a mile a minute and Jack was nodding his head. The discussion seemed to be growing serious as Jack bent over so he could hear Ava as she began talking softly.

"It looks like we'll get our money one way or the other." Dr. Lancaster said under her breath as she took a sip of wine and grimaced. That so amused Rachel she couldn't hide her smile.

"You find this funny? How exactly do you know the Schroder's?" Dr. Lancaster asked accusingly.

Rachel shrugged not answering as she looked over at Paul, who picked up on he signal as he rose and held out his hand. "Shall we?"

Nodding she followed his lead. When they took the dance floor they were silent for a few minutes. She knew she needed to say something. Jack was right when he said Paul deserved the truth. "Paul I-"

"Don't worry about it Rachel." He cut her off, his voice lacking its usual friendliness.

"Dr. Cooper is right, I owe you an explanation." But she didn't know where to start.

"It's Dr. Cooper again?" He raised his eyebrow, his voice dripping with disapproval.

"You think I am cheating on my husband, don't you?" Rachel sighed.

This time Paul shrugged as he moved her further away from the others.

"It's none of my business." He wouldn't meet her eyes.