Chapter 36: A pack of cards and a deal at hand.

Start from the beginning

"Let's play Blayze." Her demand seemed rather random and yet there seemed to be a speck of faith in her eyes. It just made me wonder why she felt I would go along with something like this.

"I'm not interested" I commented looking away from her.

"Come on. Just one round at least. I'm bored and playing all by myself just seems a little crazy."

"Go out. You have a friend, don't you?" I heard myself retorting in regards to her comment. My eyes were back on her.

Strangely, her smile broadened.

"Yes, I do but if I hang out with her all the time, she's going to wonder about when I actually do spend time with my husband so let's play."

There was silence in our midst and I couldn't help staring at her for a moment. Her brave smile and encouraging eyes urging me to give in. I found it, her, a bit intriguing. Doesn't she ever get tired? It's hard faking a smile all the time.

"We don't have to spend actual time together. We're not in public."

"Yeah, I know. You're human, aren't you?" Her question was rather random that I made no attempt to reply.

"Come on. Play with me. You've literally got nothing to lose except... perhaps, you're afraid that I'll beat you. I've been told that I'm really good at it."

Her comment as well as the smirk on her face forced a slight furrow between my brows.

She wiggled her brows at me and her eyes held mischievousness. She eventually looked away, busy with shuffling the cards.

"It's just a game but maybe, you don't want to play because you believe my wining over you would hurt your pride. You're fickle minded and you think like the rest of men in this world... Perhaps, I was wrong in thinking otherwise."

I couldn't help but narrow my eyes at her. I'm not a fool. I know exactly what she's trying to do.

I lowered my eyes away from her.

I'm not falling for any of her tricks.

Caden

Come over. Come over. Come over.

I recited in my mind. I could only hope my cliché of a method proves effective. I stole a slight look at my victim but he seemed unmoved.

Eventually, a really light sigh left my lips. Sometimes, I forget he's not normal. It would have been too easy if he fell for my tactic.

Well, I guess in the end, I'm on my own.

"Let me clarify a misunderstanding on your part."

My eyes were quickly up, beholding his presence in the flesh. He wouldn't quite meet my eyes at his statement.

"I'm not here because I fell for your overused excuse of a trick. I'm here because... well, because... my pride doesn't hurt so easily."

He was done with his statement and took a seat on the sofa in front of me. I couldn't help the smile that drew across my face.

He came.

"Whatever you say, your majesty." I buttered, my smile never leaving my face.

I shuffled and distributed the cards evenly. I watched as he acted a bit strange with them.

"You have played cards, haven't you?' I had to ask. I mean the life he's showed me so far doesn't seem like someone who has done a lot more than work.

His eyes met mine for a moment and I could read a bit of embarrassment but it was quick to disappear.

"No but I know how it goes." His reply was assertive which kind of seemed enough for me.

Watching him pick up the cards in his hands, I realised the man in front of me was a mystery. I knew nothing about him except his name and family legacy. I felt the need to know more than that.

Our eyes met and I in the least bit didn't feel the need to look away.

"Why don't we make this a little more interesting?" I started and he watched without a reply so I saw it as a go-ahead confirmation.

"You win four consecutive times in a row then you get to ask of me anything you wish but if I do... you'll have to spend the entire day with me, doing whatever I ask of you."

I watched his eyes widened for a moment, a clear surprise at my request but I wasn't in the least bit ready to retract what I just said. His expression was indeterminable.

"Deal?" I stretched out a hand for a handshake. His gaze left my face and met my hand then back to me.

"Deal." He accepted my handshake just when I expected it least. The smile on my face broadened.

Our fates could only be left to lady luck.

Please don't forget to vote and comment to show your supports...thanks ♥.