Chapter 26: A jump to the other side.

Caden

To and fro, I paced within the living room. The very thought of being locked up left me frustrated to the core. I can't let Blayze win. I can't let him have his way.

In a single deep sigh, I slumped on the sofa behind me. My thoughts were in disarray. How do I get out of here? How do I leave without having those two realize I'm gone? Even though I get past those two, I'm pretty sure the man at the gate wouldn't be enthusiastic about letting me out.

What do I do? I really can't have him lock me up.

I stood to my feet and walked up to the window, I stared out, my focus on nothing in particular. Suddenly, there's something I'm staring at.

The fence. I realized for the first time that they weren't quite high.

Quickly, I hurried my way back to the sofa, took out my mobile phone from my bag and dialed Mia's phone number.

I wore the longer strap of my handbag over my head to rest on my shoulder, behind my ear, I'd brushed the few strands fortunate enough to escape the band I'd tied the rest of my hair in and made sure the laces of my shoes were knotted properly to avoid tripping.

I pressed my knuckles, satisfied with the sounds they let out. I did a few stretches, eased up my muscles and in all this time, my eyes never left the fence I was about to jump over.

"This is no biggie. I've done a lot of climbing. This should be no big deal." I assured myself, although a part of me contemplated a lot but I wasn't about to let that part take control.

I took another look left and right and saw no one coming. It made me feel safer. It wasn't easy making my way past the pool, the helpers and behind the small garden.

I just have to jump quite high. I just have to jump so without thinking anymore, I made a run forward, jumped as high I could and caught hold of the top. For a second, I hung there but drawing in every strength I had, I painfully pulled myself up, my leg went across and finally, the other.

In a deep breath, I jumped down on the other side, careful enough not to hurt my ankle. When I stood straight once more, a sharp pain surge from downwards to up but I was quick to shrug it off and ran right towards the car I'd sighted.

I placed a quick knock on the glass and Mia within the car looked my way. Quickly, she unlocked and I was able to get in.

"Did you..."

"No questions. Please just drive quickly." I interrupted anything she had to say and as if controlled, she did exactly that and only then did I release the tensed-up air that had hung in my chest regardless of my panting.

Quite out of the estate, suddenly, I began laughing, much to the confusion of my dear friend. I can't believe I did that but it was better than succumbing to being Blayze's slave. The earlier he learns that I cannot be tamed, the better for him.

"Caden are you okay? Did you have a fight with Blayze? Why jump over a fence? Why ask me to pick you up?" Mia asked all at once, a desperation for answers drew in her eyes as she looked my side.

My dear friend, if only I could tell her everything that has been going on but I couldn't.

"Oh, it's nothing. I just felt like being a little rebellious today." I lied and it seems she took it all in as she asked no more questions and gave a simple smile.

Staring out the window, I spaced out. I can't head to Blayze's office. Who knows what else he has in store for me. It would seem I'll have to solve my problem myself.

"Did you find a new job?" I asked as I turned back to Mia. She looked my side once.

"Was I to do that? You promised we would get back our space once you get back from your honeymoon so I didn't." she stated as her smile broadened.

"Yeah I did but, I thought you'd have search for something behind my back."

"Why would I do that? Have you forgotten we're partners?" That sentence brought a smile to my face as I stared at my friend. Right, we're partners.

"Our old workplace is history. We need to find somewhere else." I told her the bitter truth without bothering to explain. She glanced my side with surprise written across her face. I felt apologetic that she has to go through this because of me.

I spaced out once more and suddenly, I had an idea. I turned to Mia with a bright and wide smile across my face.

"I think I know exactly where we can find our work-space."

"Really?"

I nodded to her question and her smile broadened just like mine.

A minute later, my phone rang and once I read the caller ID, I was ecstatic.

"Hello Jo." I called as I held the phone close to my ear.