Chapter Five - Top Of The Pyramid

“It’s alright, you can wake up.”  A calming voice soothed, and I groaned as my eyes fluttered open, blurry vision only seeing a small figure above me and a messy room.  I felt wet, tired, and in pain.

                “What...” I mumbled, rubbing my eyes and ignoring the pain that surged through my hands as I did so.  The first thing I saw were two very cut up and dirty hands, before I lowered them and shock coursed through my system.

                “Mr. Mayor!”  I shouted, surprising him and jumping up, attempting to straighten up my disguise which was evidently bloody, ripped and dirty.  

                “No need, child.”  He chuckled, getting up and wiping the dirt off his suit pants knees.  “You saved my life.”  With that he gave me a warm smile and jutted out his hand for me to shake.  I did my best to wipe off my messy hands before I took his.  

                “Jo-”  Wait.  Oh shit.  My hands flew up to my face and my ski mask was nowhere to be found.  “You- no- shit!”  I cursed out loud, turning away from him and shaking my head vigorously.  My first ‘mission’ as a superhero and the mayor has seen my face.  I’m a failure.  A joke.  What the hell am I gonna do now?

                Another chuckle resonated from the mayor and I looked over my shoulder in bewilderment.  I quickly slapped the hair that was blowing in my face away and turned to look at him.

                “I already know who you are.  Jocelyn Meyers.”  

                “What?”  I murmured, mouth barely able to move.  This was so confusing, and my body and head hurt.

                “Yes.  I met your mother when she was pregnant with you so many years ago.”  He sighed, “It’s been a while, I was running for mayor when you were born.  Don’t worry about the mask.  You won’t have to be scared about me revealing your identity.”  

                “...why?”  I finally managed to sputter, the whole situation extremely surprising and odd.

                “That, dear Jocelyn, you will find out in time.”  The mayor added cryptically.  “But for now, you need to put your mask back on and get me down to that crowd before it turns into a riot.”  

                Oh crap... I forgot about the whole ‘mayor getting kidnapped’ ordeal and the large crowd on the ground.  They were probably looking for him right now, and think I’m some deranged supervillain-kidnapper.

                Great job Jocey.  Great job.

                I sighed, instinct telling me to look behind me for my ski mask.  Wouldn’t you know it, my mask was on the ground above where my head would have been.  Groaning, I kneeled down and slipped the torn up mask on, hoping that its large rips wouldn’t reveal too much of me.  

                He nodded his ‘okay’ about my mask and I smiled, rather awkwardly latching my arms around his shoulders and flew out the gaping hole in the office building’s glass wall. The crowd below us cheered as I slowly lowered him down, the crowd parting for the mayor to set foot on the ground.   As soon as I saw the mayor was safe I turned and flew up into the air.  

                “Wait!”  I shout burst through the silent crowd.

                Curious, I ignored my throbbing body to turn around and look down at the same woman I saw on TV, desperately trying hold a microphone up as close to me as she could get.