Chapter 1

Mary-Ellen POV

I was so proud of Dalton. He made his dreams come true.

We grew up together, same elementary school. My family moved down the street from his when we were ten. We may not have been in the same social circles, but he always smiled and said hi when he saw me.

I wasn't the most social kid. I was addicted to my music. It got me through so many things as a child. I was diagnosed with Autism, ADHD, anxiety, depression, and all those beautiful things when I was 13. Music was my stability. It was my escape. I taught myself piano, guitar, drums, and I could memorize any song's lyrics within an hour, all harmonies, and even make up some of my own.

I never told people what was going on with me. I didn't want to be judged. I didn't want to be tormented. I was an angry kid. I was never violent, but I somehow held all my emotions in until I got home from school, or wherever I was forced to go during the day to get out of the house, and I would just blow up. I didn't know how to channel it properly at first. I started writing music after a couple years. It was so mad. It sometimes scared me what would come out of my head and onto paper.

It was my outlet. I was able to calm down and focus properly. I learned how to socialize. My mom actually started to forget about any of my disabilities. I started a YouTube channel with my music. My appearance started to change. Instead of the mousy brown hair I had for 19 years, I dyed it red with black tips. After a few months, I bleached it. I loved my skinny jeans, ripped and stained. I always had my graphic tees. Whether they were band tees (I was the geeky preteen music lover, so One Direction was a staple), marvel characters that I only wore because I found them on sale, Harry Potter and Ninja Turtles. I never left the house without a hat. Part of my Autism was that I can't stand human physical contact, but I need some sort of contact. My hats were a part of me. It gave me comfort when I was in a situation that stressed me out. I loved my combat boots. I had a couple tattoos, and I got my septum pierced.

I was finding who I was. I worked retail as a back of house specialist. I was driving home when I got a text from a friend to check the TV when I got back. I switched to the channel she was talking about to find a very familiar face auditioning for American Idol. I made it in time to see him get his golden ticket, and I was so proud. All I heard from my mom, who is close friends with his mom, is how he had gotten so far in his music, but needed the boost to really get where he wanted to be.

I called my mom that night, and she said that the episodes were a bit behind real time, and he was already in LA for live shows. She also said that where he had worked, School of Rock, was looking for people to replace his shifts and responsibilities while he was gone.

I ended up getting the job. I still worked retail – thank god the store had shifts 24/7 – and had shifts teaching kids music Monday through Friday. I started getting really comfortable in the new environment, and each week we watched American Idol, watching Dalton advance. He kept climbing, and I remember watching him become more and more confident.

We were watching the final five, and when Dalton's name was announced, we were all elated. He was coming home for a couple days, and we would be able to help celebrate his success.

That was a few days ago. I was currently sitting in one of the recording booths we had in the back of the school. I was working out the harmonies on a song I was writing when a familiar head of blonde hair came through the door. I put down my guitar, and walked to the door while watching him close his eyes and take a deep breath by the soundboard.

As I opened the door, he turned, surprised that someone was there. True, there weren't any classes today, so most people wouldn't be there. I smiled. "Hi, Dalton. Congratulations on getting so far on Idol. All of us have been cheering for you."

He cocked his head. "I'm really sorry. I know I know you. You look so familiar, but I can't place you."

I grinned. "It's okay. We didn't really know each other before. I'm Mary-Ellen. I lived down the street from you. I also helped here once you left for Idol. You have some huge shoes to fill."

A look of surprise came over his face.