chapter four // what you didn't know.

Start from the beginning

"Oh my god," They stare with wide eyes, "Linley, I love you," A boy laughs, his smile spread across his entire face.

Both Harry and I share a completely dumb-founded look. Neither of us were expecting that in the slightest. 

Linley's normally snarled face lights up with a brilliant smile, completely changing her features. She looks like a completely different person. I stare at her with my eyebrows furrowed together in confusion.

Who the hell is she?

"We cannot wait to watch you perform tomorrow. We're all going to camp out so we can have front row seats," A girl tells Linley, causing Linley's eyes to crinkle as she lets out a humbled laugh. 

It's as if the group of teens don't even see Harry and I. They're focus is directed at Linley and Linley alone. I've never felt so ignored before. It's not a feeling I'm too familiar with. Even Harry awkwardly shifts in his seat as Linley hogs all the attention. 

The waiter weaves his way through the crowd of anxious teens to set our drinks in front of us. I grip my glass tightly as my attention is grasped by these excited kids so fascinated with Linley. 

I knew that Linley was performing at this festival, but I never thought she was actually famous.  I just assumed she was in a small band, perhaps the drummer in some small underground band that was opening for the big shows. 

"When we heard Starry Eyes was going to be here, we all flipped out and bought tickets as soon as possible," The guy admits.

Just as I take a sip from my glass of liquor, it goes spewing from my mouth, all over the table. I burst into a fit of coughs, earning a many odd looks from the teens surrounded around me. Harry stares at Linley with wide eyes, as if he had seen a ghost.

There is no way in hell that Linley is in Starry Eyes. I know every song from that group. The female duo...

I let out a loud internal groan as realization slaps me across the face. I should have seen it from the moment I laid eyes on Linley and Sable. Their polar opposite appearances have made small features in their music videos. 

I knew there was something familiar about Linley's boyish features. In their music videos, usually they're wearing some sort of odd costume, covering most of their face. 

Linley raises an eyebrow as she glances at me, not concerned at all with me choking, but rather why I am acting like such an idiot. 

 Then out of nowhere, I receive a sharp kick from under the table. My head snaps to Harry with a pained expression on my face as I rub my sore shin with my free hand. He gives me an astonished look. He looks at me as if he were appalled that I hadn't told him earlier.

'I had no idea' I mouth back to him, bringing up my free hand in defense. 

I can't stare at Harry for too long without my attention returning to Linley interacting with her group of fans. She signs a few t-shirts with her free hand. I take notice of her shoving our handcuffed hand beneath the table so it's out of sight. 

I start to see Linley in a new light now that I know she's the owner of an incredible voice. It doesn't make up for her irritating personality or her rudeness or for the fact that I hate her with every fibre of my being. But I just start to look at her differently.

"See you guys tomorrow night," Linley smiles and gives them a wave as they start to shuffle away, returning Linley to Harry and I. 

After letting out a deep, exhausted sigh, she takes a big gulp from her glass. Harry and I are still glued to her in astonishment. We watch as she crinkles her nose at the hard liquor, shaking her head in disgust before she goes for another sip.