I don't know what it is, but I just don't want anyone to be able to stare at her, except for me. Obviously, I don't have feelings for her - I'm far too preoccupied with my dreadful task this year to get caught up in such superficial things as relationships. I just think she's really good looking. But no, I don't feel anything for her. She's just another pretty girl.

Jennifer's POV -

I am staring into the roaring green fire, a thin blanket draped around my shoulders.

The Slytherin common room is oddly comforting. On paper, the frigid air and emerald flames should make anyone feel eerie, but I find myself rather attached to the oddness of it all.

After a large meal that left me in a sleepy food coma, Josefina, Kelsie and I pushed our way back to the common room through a sea of students. Everyone seems to be thrilled to be back at Hogwarts, and I can already envision myself feeling the same way when I return for a second time next year.

"We haven't even started classes yet, why are you halfway through that textbook?" Josefina questions when she notices the Transfiguration textbook propped open on my lap.

"You can never be too prepared." I respond, my eyes remaining trained on the words before me.

Josefina surveys me with mock-disgust. "Uh, yes you can. You're a fine example of that."

"Shhh." I whisper, and tap the tip of my quill to her nose, causing ink to blossom across her skin. She wipes it with the hem of her sleeve, and lazily throws a fist my way.

I laugh a little. "Now, really, be quiet."

"Whatever, smarty-pants."

These moments with my friends are sometimes the only things that keep me going - small beacons of light in my dark world of insecurity and family-neglect. Without these two girls, I don't know how I would've made it through the past several years alive and with a smile.

Just then, two boys walk through the portrait hole. They're quietly chatting as though they're afraid someone might be listening in. Something about them reels me in - perhaps it's the mysterious aura that surrounds them, separating them from everyone else in the room.

I make eye contact with the blond one for a moment, and then quickly look away.

I saw something in his eyes, but I couldn't tell what it was. Anger? Dread? I find myself wanting to look back and see if it's still there, but I get the feeling that he'll lash out at me.

The two disappear up the staircase to the boys dormitory swiftly, leaving no trace that they were ever here at all.

Instantly, I become curious. Who were they?

"Who were they? Oh, no one you want to be around." Kelsie responds.

Her words prompt me to realize that I've just thought aloud. I decide to push my question a little bit further.

"Ah, really. What are their names?" I ask.

"The shorter one was Draco Malfoy. Pure blood, obviously. Really thinks he's superior to everyone in this school. And the taller was Blaise Zabini. He loves to mess around with girls. They're both dicks, in their own special ways." Kelsie says.