Chapter 5: A Saved Life, a Third Player and a Checkmate

A saved life, a third player and a checkmate

How does it feel like to be normal? How does it feel like being considered so by others?

How does it feel like to be good?
To have people who love you and don't push you away?
Or to not be called a freak, to not hide your own identity, to love someone who loves you back?

All those question have always been swirling in Lily's mind, along with all the voices. Her thoughts mixed with the thoughts of every single person that surrounded her. Propriety of others mixed with hers.

Her own thoughts, meant to be extremely loud so she could hear them over the noise of the voices, usually popped in her head when she had nothing to do. When silence surrounded her or she blocked everyone out, concentrating on her own little world -thing she didn't do that often. As she did that, here they start coming out, like long sneaky snakes. The voices would slowly fill her head, like people feeling the theater before a spectacle.

Expect the thoughts wouldn't sit down. They would continue walking around her head, chatting with others, or just loudly shouting loudly their questions so Lily could hear them.

Today was one of those days. The day when her thoughts were extremely loud, unbearable almost. For addition, Lily forgot her headphones, which were the only way to somehow suffocate the voices.

She preceded walking on the sidewalk, her lightly pink autumn trench coat flying on that day's soft wind.

After she left the pub she began walking towards her house, not helping to think on what Logan told her earlier.

She had to make a choice.

She had to decide weather to reveal herself to Charles Xavier or not.

Her arms, wrapped around herself, she stared into nothing while, in her mind, trying to hold back the voices. Somedays she just hated being a telepath. It gave her a terrible headache other than taking away from her the pleasure of wanting to know something about someone. That anticipation, that adrenaline...

She kept walking on the desert street, with only a few people placed here and there.

How did it feel to be good?

She couldn't help but ask herself this question over and over again. She didn't know if she was bad, but certainly not good. She was a monster to the people that weren't gifted.

Gifted. She didn't know if that was the right word. Some gifted people -mutants- had to hide every day, because of who they were. Some weren't even as lucky as Raven was, who could transform into a human if she so wished. If you ask them, Lily thought, people will give you the right word as for how to call them. Monsters. Freaks.

A pleading voice broke in her thoughts, like rock thrown at a window. «No. Please. Let me go. I don't have more money.» a mans voice pleaded, causing Lily to stop in front of the alley where the voice seemed coming from.

«I'm sure we'll find something else. Like your watch.» the man dressed in black, who was standing in front of the poor fellow, said, probably holding a knife in his hands.

«But-»

«No buts or I'll cut your God dammit throat!» the man growled.