Prologue

Prologue

The past cannot be changed, forgotten, edited or erased; it can only be accepted. And, after you do that, let it make you better, not bitter.

Don't let your past steal your future.

You can make a mistake, but never twice. Because the second time you'll make it, won't be a mistake anymore, it will be a choice.

When something goes wrong in my life and I look back at it from the present, I smirk and I think: "could've been worse".

That's also how I define my childhood. It could've been worse.

I, Renate Ehresmann, was born in a small village in England, year 1942, with World War II still on hold. You probably think they send me and all the local kids away, like what happened to almost every single kid in England during the war. You will be wrong.

Our village was so little and miserable that it wasn't even drawn on maps. It didn't even have a name. We just, sort of, stayed there and no one knew that there was a village that deep in the forest. They didn't drop bombs there, because I don't think Hitler even knew of our existence.

We lived in the middle of a vast field, had fifteen houses and a school. At that time schools were just at the beginning of their existence, so our wasn't exactly perfect. It had only one class with ten desks, just enough for the only ten kids that lived in the village. One of them being me. The only subjects that were thought were English, Literature and Math, all by the same and only teacher.

I'm not quite sure how we even survived there. The weather was always gloomy, we had a very little amount of food, it was extremely cold at all seasons of year... Even, though, you lost count of time in rough times like that.

As for the cold and food, I had nothing much to lament about on the matter. My family was the most rich in the whole village. My brother, Angus, my mother, father and I lived in a big house, where the food never failed. People respected us, though our origins. Which, you can guess from the surname, were German. Germany, in fact, was my mother's and father's born-land, where they moved from a year before the war began.

At age of 7, when all the foolish behavior begins to manifest itself in a kid, I for the first time used my powers.

That day Angus, my spoiled little twin, ended to extremely irritate me. I am, and always have been, a really calm and smooth person. But, when you got me angry, you could actually see smoke going out of my ears.

After timeless critics and childish abuses towards me, I exploded and told Angus to shut his mouth. I was rather surprised when that actually happened. The boy began panicking, unable to open his mouth, starting to run back and forth in the room desperately.

I hurriedly told him to open it again. He did, letting out a heavy breath. That was the first time someone looked at me like that: with pure fear in their wide eyes, as they tried to stay away from me as far as the circumstances allowed. That was the first time I was stared at and seen as a monster. But not certainly the last one.

He then ran away, hiding in his room and never again annoyed me like that. He rarely spoke to me ever again, rarely made eye contact... He told nothing to mother and father, probably too afraid of what I could do to him if he did, even if I didn't even think of bringing any harm to him.