Ch. 2: A Surprising Proposal (editing)

Start from the beginning

Her lips curved into a smile from my response. "So you do like him, don't you?"

I slammed my hands down on the desk. "That's not what I'm saying! I've told you time and time again, I'm not looking for anyone!"

She stared at me with half-lidded eyes, obviously judging my outburst. "Hush yourself before Mr. Smith comes. You tend to cause quite the racket."

"Mira," I snarled, the sound alone threatening even myself.

She shrugged and stepped out, leaving the door wide open. I groaned again, muttering, "Mira, I love you, but you're wearing me out, sweetie."

"Miss Westbrook? Who are you talking to?" a rather husky voice queried.

I yelped as Mr. Smith peeked into my office, a perplexed expression glued to his masculine features. Never had he taken me by surprise, making it a rare event on my part. "M-myself, sir. Mira came in and was talking to me about a minute ago."

"And I'm guessing it had to do with her, huh? Do you want me to have a talk with Miss Polanski?" He asked, a smirk replacing his confused look.

"No, it's okay, sir," I said, removing my coat and folding it in my lap, "I can do it myself."

"Always taking initiative. That's why you're the accountant here," he complimented sincerely.

"Thank you Mr. Smith. I have some reports to file so--"

"Oh, I'm sorry to have disturbed you then," he interjected solemnly. "If you need me, I'll be in my office."

"Of course, sir."

He nodded and shut the door, unlike a certain blonde we were both acquainted with. I rested my head on the desk, fed up with the everyday wear and tear of the workplace. Nice office, mature clothes, and good pay were great and all, but it's the people that put strain on you.

Right, you're a mature and responsible adult Roxanne, those same people might be staring at you through the window right now.

Bringing my head back up, a crunching sound came from the desk. Upon closer inspection, it was a small post-it note, a light blue at that, stuck where my face was introducing itself to a wooden surface. Peeling it off, I smoothed out the crinkles to read the legible print.

  (580) 152-6861

    Text me later when you get the chance. -Levi

It had to have been at least a week or two since I saw him, so what would prompt him to give me his contact information? Especially after his abrasive responses to my attempts to initiate conversation. Levi struck me as a suspicious person, although, ambiguous in an intriguing sort of way.

I went throughout the workday like that, weighing the pros and cons of contacting Levi. On one hand, I ached to become friends with him, since the two of us were intellectual beings in a well-behaved society. On the other hand, I was wary of him, well, wary of his reasons for procuring me his number.

After work, and after Reiner had so kindly asked me out to dinner, later driving me back home, I trudged into my apartment, exhausted from mixing personal thoughts with accounting responsibilities.

"Welcome home, Roxanne!" Marco greeted me energetically, embracing me in a tight squeeze and lifting me from my anchored spot of the carpet.

All of my smiles would reappear when Marco was around. We met in college and instantly became friends over our love for anime and cuisine. We only shared two classes, so we used almost all of our free time to hang out with each other.

Three years later, we now share an apartment together. But we're not dating, if that's what anyone is thinking. Don't get me wrong, I love the freckled boy to death, but I could only ever see him as a friend, much like my feelings towards Reiner.

"I had a rough day, I wanna rest," I said monotonously. "Reiner took me out to eat already so no need to make me anything."

"I completely understand." He patted my back and started pulling on my arm. "You have a day off tomorrow so you should sleep in. It's the logical thing to do."

"Thanks, Marco." I returned his kiss,  and walked down the hall to my bedroom.

Once in, I removed all of my clothes, starting with my shoes and working my way up. I rummaged through my dresser, pulling out a pair of sleep shorts and a loose tank top.

Changing rather quickly, I remembered the note I slipped into my coat pocket. Snatching my jacket from the bed, I searched the pockets for Levi's number and my smartphone, proceeding to create a contact. I saved it, setting up a message straight after.

"I'm not sure if you're still at work, but you wanted me to text you. What do need?"

I hit send and locked my phone. Tossing it onto the bed, I left it alone for a few minutes so I fix my short hair in the mirror. Yawning, I crawled into bed and felt the phone vibrate. Grabbing it, I slid the screen to unlock and view the new message.

"No, I'm at home like any other person at this hour. I was wondering what you were doing tomorrow."

"I have a day off, so I'm not sure yet. I'm pretty much open," I replied back. I set the phone down and closed my eyes. It vibrated again, waking me up before I dozed off.

"I heard they were going to string lanterns in the park tomorrow afternoon. They'll be lit by night time, so I wanted to know if you would like to come see them with me."

Feverish was one way to describe my temperature at the time. I typed hastily, having to go back and fix all the typos, finally ending up with: "That sounds nice, I'd love to go!"

He instantly texted back, stating: "I'll meet you there around 6:30pm, alright? So keep your phone with you."

"Of course. Okay, I'll see you then!"  was the last thing I sent before drifting off into a relaxing slumber. And to be honest, I was glad I decided to text him in the end.