Chapter 8

It's kind of hard to ignore the strong stinging sensation in my face. But anger and frustration clouded any other sense in my mind. I remember seeing the flaming locks out of my peripheral vision, but by the time it had registered who they belonged to, she had already strutted herself to her car, leaving me standing in the parking lot, seething. "Raquel!" I hear Nico's voice, but I don't see anything but red. "Was that?-" I cut him off with a low growl before he can finish the sentence. "You say her name, and I swear to God the beat down she deserves will be given to you." I say lowly, clearing my mind just enough to get myself to the car without punching in the windows. Lea O' Reilly was back, and back with a vengeance. I finished my beef with her, but apparently old wounds were left open. But why now? Almost three full years later, and ironically right around the time things started happening between Carlos and I? Something is up, and I know that slimy snake has something to do with it. Without a second thought, I pull out my phone and dial Satan's number as quickly as my fingers would let me. Nico starts the car and begins to pull out of the driveway of the diner. He turns to me with concern written all over his face, but I roll my eyes and ignore it. "Raqui, who are you calling?" He asks sternly. I put my hand up, stopping him from asking further questions. Finally, on the sixth ring, the sick bastard decides to answer the phone...laughing. "Mariposa, did you enjoy my little surprise for you?" He says, dragging out the 'a' in mariposa. "It figures you would send a bitch to do your dirty work. I'm actually pretty shocked, that was such a wuss move for such a "big, strong, man." I say, bitterly rubbing at the sore spot on my cheek. "See, this is your problem. Your mouth gets you into way more trouble than you can handle, love. By the way, don't think I don't know about your little tattooed boy toy. We all know he's only your rebound after me." I roll my eyes at his pretentious attitude. "For your information, Cole and I are friends, but I already know he makes ten times a better man and fighter than you will EVER hope to be." I say into the phone, angrily. "Is that right, babydoll?" I could practically hear him smirking on the other end. Suddenly, another comeback comes into my mind, one that would hurt his core and shut him up. "It's damn right because he's already twenty times the man and fighter than your brother ever was!" I say proudly. Nico's eyes flash over to mine, a look of shock on his face. Carlos' end becomes quiet, and I know I've got the upper hand. "And next time you want to send your little troll doll after me, make sure she can beat me with more than just some pathetic cheap shot. If she really wants to fight, you both know where to find me." I say harshly and hang up the phone. "Are you insane, Raquel?!" Nico screams at me after I'm off the phone. To say I almost pissed myself was an understatement. "What, Nico! He sent Lea O'FuckingReilly after me! I'm so sick of these mind games! So yeah, I got harsh!" I yell back. He slams both of his hands down on the steering wheel. "No, what you DON'T understand is that Carlos is not JUST some ex that you can say shit like that to and expect him to take it as a joke! He's involved with dangerous people and these people are capable of doing ANYTHING to you and there won't be shit that I can do to stop it! How could you be so fucking stupid, Raquel!" He yells at me. The last sentence hit me hard. My dad used to say it to me all the time, but he was always drunk and I knew he never meant it, but to hear it come from Nico, that hurt...big time. "Y-you think I'm stupid, Nico?" I say, staring at my hands. "Raquel, you know that's not what I meant. I-" His voice is softer now, but I cut him off anyway. "Just drive to the gym." I say, chewing relentlessly on the inside of my cheek to stop the hurt threatening to show. He tries to say something else, but I just shake my head, letting him know to stop. When we pull up to the gym's parking lot, I hurriedly grab my bag and rush into the locker room to change into my blue camo printed workout gear. After I tape up my hands, I find my way to the largest punching bag in the furthest corner of the room. I put in my ear buds and blast "Me, Myself and I" by G-Eazy as I punch and kick with all my might. The lyrics fueled my anger and strength as they played over and over in my mind.
And I don't like talking to strangers. So get the fuck off me, I'm anxious.