Chapter Forty-nine

Start from the beginning

"Mathilda would," said Arthur and Fran together.

"She thinks flirting is the most pointless thing ever," Fran continued.  A revving engine caused her to look over her shoulder and she winced as she was nearly blinded by a pair of headlights.  "Car, guys."

They stepped into the wet grass at the side of the road to allow the vehicle past.  It swept down the road towards the main school, sending up a wave of water as it went through an enormous puddle.

"Ugh."  Fran shivered.  "My socks are soaked now."

"You shouldn't have worn converses," Arthur told her, totally unsympathetic.

Scowling at him, Fran stepped back into the road.  The boys followed her.

"Back onto Stonehelm," said Arthur, "Leila I'd expect to be annoyed about a female friend of yours coming on set, but from what I've heard of Jessie, she's usually more accepting."

"She was until Mathilda pointed out that her martial arts weren't quite spot on and that she was probably going to injure herself if she didn't correct her moves.  The director had been making her retake her fight scene multiple times already because he wasn't happy and Mathilda siding with him was kind of the final straw and the ideal outlet."

Arthur winced.  "Ouch.  Poor Jessie.  Picking a fight Mathilda is a bad, bad idea."

Brookie shrugged.  "Well, she's aware of that now, and she'll probably be a lot nicer next time Mathilda comes to visit."

They passed under one of the archways into the main courtyard, where there were several people standing talking under umbrellas.  Soaked younger years in sports kit were hurrying here and there, trying to get out of the rain.

Arthur shielded his eyes against the driving rain.  "Is that the headmaster?"

"There must be visitors to the school."  Brookie shrugged.  "Come on – let's get inside before we get any wetter."

Unfortunately, they were spotted at that very moment by the school secretary, who called them over.

"Brookie!  Arthur!  Come and join us!"

Brookie groaned, while Arthur forced on a fake smile.

"Yay!" he said sarcastically.  "Poster boy duties again!  In the rain!  Life, I love you."

Fran trailed after them to the shelter of the umbrellas.

There were three men with visitor tags and name badges standing with the headmaster, and they all turned to greet the new arrivals.

"What marvellous timing!" exclaimed the head, clapping his hands together as the three men surveyed the students.  "Arthur, I was just about to give them a tour of the school, but I think it would be much better coming from one of the pupils.  This is Arthur Spurs," he added to the visitors.  "He's our head boy and an absolutely model student."

Arthur managed a more genuine smile and held out a hand for the men to shake.

"Lovely to meet you," said the foremost of the three.

Fran froze.  No, it's just your imagination.  That can't be possible.  She grasped the back of Brookie's jacket, trying to stop her hand shaking.  Just look at their faces.  There's nothing to worry about.

But try as she might, she couldn't make herself look up.

"And I'm sure you recognise Brookie Denvers," continued the headmaster.  "Our most famous student, past and present."