5. Don't Tame Me!

How could Rade tell Nema that he loved her now? But . . . where was she? He scanned the room once, twice, three times. Nema was gone. He woke Missy as fast as he could.

Missy opened her eyes bleakly and adjusted them to the light. She could see Rade's worried face. "Nema... She's gone!"

Missy's eyes dimmed and she started swaying, "Not again . . . please, please."

She dropped to the ground and started to draw in sharp breaths with shuddering motions. "Dead. Scattered like dust. All my fault."

"No!" Rade said desperately, "I know her, she's strong!"

Missy suddenly realized something. "You love her don't you, Rade?"

Rade hung his head and nodded silently. She smiled. "You're right. She is strong. We will find Nema together." With renewed hope, Missy bounded off with Rade by her side but yet in Missy's mind she was worried.

Sensing something wrong in her movement, Rade asked gently, "Something's wrong. What is it?" Missy's heart yearned to tell but she kept silent, her gaze sweeping to the ground, "It's nothing Rade, nothing."

They travelled and searched far and wide, and their only clue was Nema's faint scent. Until they reached a large river there was no problem. Nema's scent was gone. "Did she get caught in the currents?" Rade asked Missy. "If so," she replied, "then we must follow her."

Together they waded through the river, fighting against its strong current. "Save us," Missy prayed as she thrushed strongly through the water yet her mind was blank, blank with neither fear or sorrow but guilt. It was under her, Jarla was gone. Under her, her mate had died. Under her, her daughter was lost.

Then something strong hit her chest. All she could see was water and something big and brown. Missy could feel Rade beside her, also being battered. Then she felt the two of them falling down a waterfall, and then fell into some more water. Her body ached all over.

Rade looked over anxiously, his eyes glittering with terror. Suddenly a low groaning sound oozed out of Missy and the she-wolf fell into the cold thrushing depths. Rade blinked, more alone and fearful than ever. He was going to face this thing alone.

He opened his eyes wider, and saw a huge brown bear. The great thing growled and swatted Rade. He fell and heard his left arm go CRUNCH. Limping, he struggled to get out of the water when the bear hit his other front leg, and Rade collapsed.

Missy awoke to find herself staring at the face of her dead mate. His face were kind and peaceful unlike her previous dream, and when he saw her, he bounded over. Missy was weary but yet when Tor nuzzled her and woofed happily, she couldn't help but do the same. 

"Am I dead?" Missy asked, her voice tinged with hope. She wanted to let death take her, she didn't want to live anymore.

"Come, walk beside me," Tor whispered and he bounded off. Missy followed him, feeling at peace and content. 

"You blame yourself," Tor's eyes darkened with sorrow. "I'm sorry, Missy. I let you carry the guilt all those years but it wasn't your fault." Her mate looked her in the eye and Missy's tail raised hopefully. Suddenly she felt lighter and happier yet her tail fell to the ground,

"But it was Tor. And now I've lost our daughter, it's all my fault. I lose everyone around me." 

"No it is not," he replied, "If you open your eyes you will see that all is well . . ."

Missy opened her eyes. Beside her, Rade lay. He seemed lifeless and fear seeped back into Missy's mind. 

"No!" She cried as she walked towards him. "Please not you too." Rade laid still and Missy waited. By night fall, he still had not moved nor had Missy for she was mourning. "WHY? TOR!" she screamed into the night. "You awake me only to witness the death of another?" Then she heard some very strange sounds coming towards her.