For All Eternity

It’s been ten years since McKayla died. Not a day passes by without me wanting to hold her once more. She has learned how to make her self visible. She has learned how to make herself heard. She has not learned how to become solid, and I don’t think she can.

She is a guardian angel and a messenger. She looks over and tries to protect every one she loves. She has shown many to the light, including her husband Alex. McKayla disappeared for six months because I did not save him after his owner got sick of his temper, his unfaithfulness and his unruliness. I knew he was going to die. I had to give my approval for his death. I hated him for everything he did to her. I hated him more every time he hit or insulted her and within a day after she died, he had already moved on. He was caught having sex with another slave he claimed to love more than her. I hated him before she even knew me, but while she was human I hid that hate from her as best as I possibly could. I tried to accept him, but I couldn’t.

She is a great spy, capable of stopping any plans against me before they happen. She has control over who sees her. That is how I ended up with her children, Alexis and Michael as my fledglings. That is why she decided to come back to me after Alex, to ask for my help with her children. A vampire was plotting revenge against me by taking out the only two humans that connected me to McKayla. After her death I took her children under my wings, personally seeing to their safety.

It was a few months ago McKayla came to me, telling me I needed to start feeding her children my blood, they were in grave danger. I could not find the names she gave of the vampires any where on file. Instantly, I started that night feeding her children. A few nights later I went to my weekly meeting leaving the children with their nanny, Jennifer, as usual feeling they would be safe. When I returned a group of unknown vampires rushed out of their room. My guards caught them at the exit out of the castle. Jennifer’s body was mutilated and tossed through out the interior of their room. The children were left with their hearts faintly beating. They were fighting for their lives and barely winning. McKayla was there, still mentally throwing anything she could find. She stopped once she saw me, allowing me to rush to the children, slicing both my wrists open and feeding them both at once. It was Serena and Jay who made it to the room next, taking my position in desperate attempt to save them. I was too drained to go on. I didn’t feed in days and trying to bring back two would be impossible on my own. Even if I feed minutes before, it would have been difficult. Because of McKayla, my blood kept their hearts beating. Because of Jay and Serena’s help, her children survived.

Her children are so much like her. Alexis is outspoken and a complete handful. Michael on the other hand, is timid and obedient. When it’s time to feed, Michael is right there. Alexis, I have to find or argue with. Alexis never wants to listen, she needs to learn everything the hard way. Michael tries to run from Samantha, Alex’s old master, and any type of violence.

They may be a pain, but in the morning when I watch them sleep curled up in their beds, I think of their mother. In the evening when they toss before they awaken, I think of their mother. My love for McKayla and her children will never die and will never grow old. Just like me, it will live on for an eternity.

My name is King Ethan Joseph Zandler and this is my story.

Part 1

Chapter 1

I felt the air shift as I laid in my bed with my eyes closed. I knew who it was. I slowly opened them seeing Alexis creeping towards me like a cat about to pounce a mouse. I waited motionless for her to pounce. I caught a glimpse of her dark red eyes as I caught her in mid air slamming her into the ground. I stood above her and knew my eyes were flashing black and red. I was furious. I reached up ready to hit her. As my hand came down I felt a hard, blunt object hit the back of my head. A lamp crashed into the floor beside of me, shattering into pieces. McKayla was there.

“She’s just a child!” She shouted drawing my attention away from Alexis. There was nothing I could do to stop the wrath of McKayla.

“She’s a fifteen year old vampire, she needs to learn control!” I shouted back. Another lamp flew past my head, hitting the wall in front of me and shattering.

“So you beat her!” She yelled back throwing the alarm clock, hitting me in the chest. That too shattered into pieces on the floor.

“She’s just like you, needs to learn everything the hard way.” I muttered.

In the midst of our fight we woke Michael. He was now cowering up in the corner of my tall ceiling holding his sister by the waist as she dangled high above.

“Michael James Anderson! Get down here this instant!” McKayla screamed, flying up to grab him. I knew that would be a bad idea.

“He’s a chicken like just you were.” I grumbled sitting behind my desk to write, watching Michael scurry around the ceiling away from McKayla with her black eyes and black wings. A typical evening in my room was taking place.

No one in the right mind, other than me, will willingly go near McKayla when her eyes and wings turn black. She can be quite mean and violent when she’s that mad. She loses control of herself. She can’t severely hurt the children, but she could leave a good mark if she could catch them.

Michael may be timid, but his speed will protect him. My only worry is his strength. He is still young and could easy drop his sister, which is why I have to watch this charade every evening. I need to be ready to catch Alexis when she falls. I have learned over the last few months it doesn’t pay to chase them. This goes on for about half an hour before he drops her. I’ll will catch Alexis and at that point start feeding her, until Michael wears himself out from continuing his run around with his mother. At that point I’ll be feeding off a slave while his mother beats the crap out of him with any object she can find to throw at him. When she is done, I’ll feed Michael, and he’ll recover from his mother’s beatings. McKayla will disappear crying, and my day will begin. This has been going on routinely for three months now. I’m sure this chaos will happen again tomorrow.

I grabbed my files after the children fell asleep and headed to my office. I knew McKayla would be on the bench in front of the waterfall outside my office. I would need to calm her down. She wants so much to be part of her children’s lives, but finds it hard not being able to touch or hold them. When she loses her temper she can not control the poltergeist like actions she raises around her. That’s how she hurts her children, with flying objects. Although, the objects usually only fly in the direction of whomever she is mad at. Bystanders are usually safe as long as they stay out of the line of fire.

I feel helpless at these times. I can’t hold her, instead all I can do is sit with her. I will watch her wings and her eyes turn light blue and her body shake. I have tried in the past to talk to her when she’s like this, but anything I say to comfort her will only make it worse. She yearns to be alive and solid. She fears of never being able to hold her children or me again.

Our love is unbreakable. There is no longer anything that holds her to me, she comes and goes on her own free will. I feel privileged to have her, but I will never feel whole, for she is still only here in spirit. The need for her to be closer is indescribable.

When she left for those six months after Alex was killed, I died on the inside. Her mother and Sarah kept telling me she would see the light and come around. Her love for me is too strong to hold us apart. That is why she hasn’t completely left. Our love holds her to this place.