37: Hopes Crushed

Everyone went home the next day at around one o'clock, but I was forced to stay because I had to tutor Will. I really, really, really didn't want to be alone with him for that long. I didn't know what I would do, I could barely look at him. Yesterday it had been okay because we were with everyone else, but I didn't know how today was going to go. I was beyond nervous.

I sat in the living room with Cecily, waiting for Will. He and Jace had gone swimming, and I was going to tutor him once he was finished.

"Cecy, I don't think I can be alone with him for that long." I sighed.

"You'll be fine. It's only Will, he acts like an idiot half of the time." She chuckled lightly.

Despite of myself, I laughed. "That's true. Him and Jace wouldn't stop fighting, yesterday."

Cecily huffed. "Tell me about it. They always do annoying crap like that. One time, uncle Stephen, aunt Celine, and I all went out, and when we came back, Will had tied Jace to a chair."

I burst out laughing. "Why?"

"Apparently Jace accused Will of cheating at Call of Duty, and they started fighting. I don't even know how Will managed to actually tie him to a chair, though."

I laughed again. "That's hilarious. I have no idea how how you live with them."

She chuckled. "Literally all they do is ask me if I like Gabriel, and prank me."

"Speaking of Gabriel, what was that kiss about, yesterday?" I smirked.

Cecily blushed. "I don't know. We were just talking, and then suddenly we were kissing. It was weird."

"Are you guys dating?" I asked excitedly.

"No, but he said he likes me." She grinned shyly.

I smiled happily. "Ooh, you guys are going to date soon! I can feel it!"

Cecily only laughed, shaking her head. Just then, Will and Jace came back inside. They were both shirtless, and my eyes widened slightly. My cheeks flamed, and I quickly looked away.

"Who's going to date who?" Have raised an eyebrow.

"No one." Cecily and I said at the same time.

"Probably Cecy and Lightworm." Will rolled his eyes.

"Ew." Jace scrunched up his face. "Please don't, Cecy."

"Cecily wants to do naughty things with the worm." Will teased, smirking widely.

"You could say he "wormed" his way into her heart." Jace grinned.

Will started to laugh, and high fived his cousin. Jace only smirked smugly.

Cecily rolled her eyes at them, and sighed. "Just go change, both of you."

They both smirked at each other, and went upstairs.

I chuckled. "I feel bad for you."

She sighed tiredly. "I swear, they're wild animals."

I only laughed. A few minutes later, they both returned downstairs and I stood up. Will and I walked away from Cecily and Jace, to their formal dining room. We both sat down, and I awkwardly started to open up my books. This is horrible and we haven't even started yet, I thought to myself.

"I can't remember where we left off." I confessed.

"Algebra." Will replied.

"Okay." I said, not looking at him.

I then started to talk, and Will listened closely. I couldn't shake the tension between us, though. I tried to ignore it, but I couldn't. Whenever it became silent, it was there. I had to talk to him about what happened. I had to tell him how I really felt, or else I'd regret it forever. I looked up at Will. He was writing numbers down on his page, looking entirely focused on it. I bit my lip, nervously. Just say it, Tessa, I urged, just freaking do it.

"Will, I need to talk to you." I blurted out.

He looked up at me, his blue eyes bright, and sighed. "So do I."

"You first." I said.

Will sighed again, putting down his pencil. "I want to say that I'm sorry for what I did in Mexico. I--I've realized that I was wrong about my feelings for you, just like you said. I think we should just be friends, now. No more sleeping with each other, or anything."

My heart shattered. Split in half.

I went very, very, pale, and I froz in my place. He was? I had gone over everything he had ever said and done to me a billion times since that day, and it was obvious that he liked me. He had already moved on that quickly. I felt my heart drop to the floor, and I quickly blinked away tears.

"Oh." I said softly, not looking at him. "Good."

"Yeah." Will spoke, awkwardly. "I just needed to say that I was sorry. That was what you wanted to talk about, right?"

I plastered a fake smile on my face. "Yeah, right."

He flashed me a smile, and then went back to working. I couldn't breathe. The lump in my throat made it very hard to. A tear escaped my left eye, but I quickly wiped it away before he could see. We finished twenty minutes later, and I quickly left. I didn't even make it into my car, before I started to cry. I sat in the driver's seat, tears streaming down my face. I didn't care about the fact that we wouldn't have sex, I couldn't believe he didn't like me, anymore. I was too late. It was my fault this had happened.

I had ruined everything.

Will's POV

I closed the door behind Tessa, feeling as if my heart was being torn out my chest. I couldn't believe I had just done that. I had let her go. I had to, though, I knew. I had to settle things between us, and I knew that she didn't return my feelings. Tessa had looked completely normal when I had said I didn't have feelings for her anymore, and that's when my heart had broke.

I walked into the living room, where both Jace and Cecily sat. Uncle Stephen and aunt Celine were going to out for the night, again. I threw myself down on the couch, feeling miserable.

"What's wrong?" Cecily asked, knowing right away that something was bothering me.

"Nothing." I mumbled.

She only raised an eyebrow at me, and I looked away. Had I made a mistake letting Tessa go like that? I was sure that that was the right thing to do, even though it had killed. We couldn't keep doing what we had been doing before, I knew that it made her feel guiltily, and that was the last thing I wanted. You did the right thing, Will, I told myself. From now on, Tessa would only be the girl I used to have a crush on. Only my sister's best friend.

Only a girl.