Chapter Fifteen

The house was amidst alleyways and slums. I didn't understand why Ceseth was so adamant about me dressing nicely to go somewhere so grungy. The house itself was big enough, a town house with two apparent stories, but it was crumbling in some places. The man who lived here didn't appear to be very wealthy. Maybe that was why he desired to kill seven men to gain their wealth.

Ceseth could sense my bad mood and kept poking me in the side, telling me to stand straighter, to keep my chin up, to impress him. It was unfortunate that I had absolutely no desire to impress him. For a man I'd never met before, I hated Ebenezer. Ceseth knocked on the front door and we both stood on the small brick landing. Ceseth was observing his surroundings with a hawk's gaze, and he nudged me once to get me to do the same, but I didn't care. It would be hard for anyone to sneak up on us here; the stone and dirt walkways were noisy even under the most trained feet.

"Mr. Gifuhildi."

I looked up at the man who answered the door. He was a head and a half taller than I was, and admittedly rather dashing. He had a strong, wide-chested build. Beneath his pristine suit I could tell he was leanly muscular, but I had no doubts that I could easily overtake him. I had training. He did not. He had a mop of brown hair atop his head and it appeared that he had attempted to tame the wild locks and failed. His hair was somewhere between slicked back and tousled. It wasn't a bad look, but I was also fairly certain it wasn't the one he was going for.

"Ebenezer," Ceseth said, sweeping into the house without waiting for permission. I saw a dark expression flicker across Ebenezer's face, but it had disappeared before I could gauge how dangerous it was.

"Come inside," Ebenezer motioned to me, suddenly businesslike. He gave me a smile I was certain swept many women off their feet. It was fortunate I wasn't many women. I walked into the house with an air of disdain, refusing to meet his gaze until I had found myself a plush chair and plopped into it. I saw the same expression he'd given Ceseth cross his face again and it made me smirk. He was easily riled then. He wasn't old at all; very young-looking, in fact. Perhaps ten years my senior, but not at all old. Twenty-five, perhaps.

"Business time," Ceseth said, turning around. Ebenezer closed the door and turned as well, giving Ceseth an appraising look.

"Business time," Ebenezer repeated.

"So," Ceseth said, prowling back and forth. He kept his eyes on the ground, obviously lost in thought. "You have seven men you wish dead. You have seven wills you wish to be written into." Ceseth stopped pacing and looked up at Ebenezer, eyes flashing. "It's a daunting task, to say the least. However, I'm more than willing to take on the challenge. But first..."

"First?" Ebenezer didn't move from his spot by the door.

"First, I want to know how exactly it won't be suspicious that seven people are going to die, and you're magically in each one of their wills. I know these men; they're all extraordinarily wealthy, but not a single one of them has enough to be worth fifty thousand apiece."

"I've spent years getting myself acclimated to noble society," Ebenezer said, clasping his hands behind his back. "I've perfected everything there is to know about being noble—I know how to dress, how to act, how to eat, how to socialize, and most importantly: how to get into people's social circles, with the least amount of effort. I know each one of these men personally, and I'm the last person they'd expect to have them offed. To some of them, I'm almost like a son. To others, I'm nothing more than leverage."

Ceseth smirked.

"As for the payment..." It was Ebenezer's turn to smirk. "You can leave that to me."

"Where's your stash, then, child?" Ceseth said. Ebenezer stiffened, and the dangerous flash I'd seen twice returned. This time, it stayed a bit longer. It was dangerous indeed. "I don't take up jobs unless I am assured I will have my money. These men's fortunes together, perhaps, can pay for three-fourths of the money you'll owe me."

"I hired you because you are the best assassin in, quite possibly, the world. I didn't hire you to ask questions."

I gaped. No one got away with talking to Ceseth like that. It shocked me even more that all Ceseth did was laugh.

"You're feisty," Ceseth said. "Much like that brat." He motioned to me. "You two would rub along well."

Ebenezer turned to assess me. I didn't like the way his eyes drank in every part of me. I wanted to shout at him that I was only fifteen, and the lascivious looks he was giving me made him a predator.

"Mmm," Ebenezer said. "I wouldn't mind that."

My heart stopped in my chest and I jumped to my feet, looking at Ceseth. "You can't be serious—that's ridiculous!"

"Shush," Ceseth said, waving me off.

"No! You're trying to sell me to him?"

"Yes and no," Ceseth said, taking a few steps closer to me. I took a few steps back. "You see, Jae'sa, there's this little thing called business. And when you're doing business, you have to be smart about it. And here's the thing: an unhappy employer makes for an unhappy employee."

"You're the one who controls this power play," I snapped. Ebenezer smiled. "You're pretty much the employer. You don't owe him anything. He owes you everything!"

"You're not wrong, not entirely," Ceseth said. His eyes were cold. My outburst would surely cost me later. "One day you'll start to think like a businesswoman, Jae'sa. Today is not that day."

"So explain to me why you're trying to sell me to him."

"Stop using that word. 'Sell,'" Ceseth scoffed. "As if I'd sell my one semi-valuable asset. Borrowing is a better term—you see, Jae'sa, that if he's happy, he's more likely to get me my money faster. If you would make him happy, I'm more than happy to give him what he wants. Of course you'll still help me on the job, but whatever free time you have, he'll have."

"No," I whispered. "No, that's not right. I'm here to kill for him, not to...to..." I threw up my hands in anger. Every fiber in my body was screaming at me to run. If I was going to die because I ran away, now would be the time. "I'm not going to do it."

Ceseth paused in his prowl towards me. For a second I thought he'd reach for one of his many concealed weapons, but instead, in a flurry of movement, he had grabbed me and brought his hand against my cheek. I gaped and fell to my knees as he let go. Tentatively I reached a hand up to touch my cheek, tears in my eyes.

"I don't care whether or not you want to," Ceseth said coldly. "You'll do as I say, because truthfully, the money we're making from this job is worth more to me than you'll ever be."

I dared to look up at Ceseth, but he had already started moving away.

"Keep her for tonight," Ceseth said to Ebenezer as he brushed past him. "Get acquainted. Send her home tomorrow, and we'll start work."