Pity Party - One

Hi guys, thanks for being so patient. I've written a short story to thank you all for supporting me, so you'll be getting five chapters in total, updating once a week. 

ENJOY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One.

Drew Laughlin is the love of my life. I hope to one day get married and have our own house on a hill, maybe some kids. The only problem? He doesn't know it yet. To him, I'm just a jumper loving, slightly crazy, laid back, tree hugging neighbour.

Of course, it doesn't help that he's statistically straight, two years older than me, and – you know – normal. And by statistically straight, I mean he's only been seen dating girls and he hasn't come out as gay, so it's under the assumption he's straight until proven otherwise.

I try so hard whenever he's around to seem cool and suave, and calm and collected; but my inner voice cannot be silenced.

Like for example, I'm listening to 'Kill V. Maim by Grimes' on full volume while I pack up the cafe I work at for the day. 5:00pm is closing time, but my manager is sick today and my coworker left awhile ago to pick her kids up from school, so it's just me and it's only ten to five anyway.

And it's not just that I'm listening to Grimes or that she's my role model, it's the fact that my apron is on my head, my shoes are by the door and I'm sliding around in my socks, dancing while I tidy up.

My situation is much like 'Fools by Troye Sivan'. And I say that because that's the song that just came on next so now I am dancing to that and I just realized how well it actually fits my situation.

"Only fools fall for Drew, only fools fall!" I sung at the top of my lungs, doing my skinny white boy version of twerking. A chuckle startled me and I twirl around – nearly taking out a table as I do so because my socks slip on the shiny floor when I turn – to face the door. I thought I'd locked it, apparently I hadn't. The afternoon sun was pouring through the front windows,silhouetting the customer standing in the doorway.

"We're closed," I say, flustered and a little embarrassed.

"All good, I was actually going to ask for a lift,"the stranger replied. I couldn't see his face, but I heard the laughter in his voice. And he wasn't a stranger.

WHY GOD? WHY DO YOU DO THESE THINGS TO ME? DO YOU ENJOY MY SUFFERING? DO YOU ENJOY MY EMBARRASSMENT? AS IF MY LIFE ISN'T A JOKE ENOUGH AS IT ALREADY IS! YOU HAVE TO GO AND PULL THIS STUPID ASS MAINSTREAM ROM COM BULL ON ME AND HAVE HIM OF ALL PEOPLE WALK IN NOW?

God hates me, probably because I'm atheist. But alas,Drew bloody Laughlin was standing in the doorway to my work having just witnessed my twerking first hand. Oh God, please tell me he didn't hear me singing his name.

"A – a lift?" I stammered, trying to regain a little dignity as I straightened and pulled my apron from my head.Drew stepped further in the shop into view. He looked good, casual in dark navy jeans and a light blue T-shirt.

"Yeah, my car just broke down and my phone died. Then I remembered you work here and came to see if you'd finished yet,"Drew smiled innocently.

Sweet sweet Drew, my love is stranded and alone and in need of my help. Yes my love, I will come to your aid.

Shit, no, wait, I don't have a license, or a car.

"Ah, sorry, I don't have a car," I confessed.

Forgive me my love, I have failed you in your hour of need.

"Oh, damn," Drew sighed. He chewed on his bottom lip for a few seconds – something that always drove me wild – and then frowned at me. "How do you get home?" he asked.