"Rachel?" his eyes did another sweep before he looked at her father then back at her.

"My little girl is all grown up." Rachel heard the pride in her father's voice.

Jack gave his heartbreaking crooked grin then pulled Rachel to him for a quick kiss in greeting.

It must have been quick because no one looked on as if something odd had just happened, but for Rachel it felt as if time had stood still. She felt his hand grab her waist and pull her towards him.  She watched as his shocking blue eyes crinkled at the corners as they got closer, she noticed the stubble on his jaw, the dimple on his cheek, and she could even smell him as her hands went to his shoulders.

Then his lips were on hers and she stopped breathing and her heart stopped beating. His lips were warm and surprisingly soft.  Then, before she knew what had happened, he had pulled away.

Rachel swore she caught a confused expression before it was quickly masked and he brought the redhead forward.

Rachel didn't remember much else after that because with just that one little kiss her whole world had tilted on its axis and she was hopelessly in over her head.

*******

Rachel was jolted from her reverie by the sound of foot steps behind her.

"Ray?" Jack was suddenly standing beside her as if she had conjured him from the dark.

She looked at him. How could she do it? It had just about killed her last time.  How would she be able to see him every day, loving him the way she did, and knowing that he didn't return that love? She was just about to voice that very thought, still a little lost in her memories, when there was a shout and sounds of someone running from the jungle behind them.

Instantly on alert, Jack stepped in front of her, but what was coming at them wasn't a threat but a medical emergency.   The man coming from the road was shouting in French. Rachel looked at Jack to see if he understood and he obviously did as he sprang into action. There was no need for her to translate.

"A bush taxi had overturned a mile up the road, there are serious injuries, and they need help now," Jack said before he raced towards the medical building where he disappeared. 

Rachel approached the man telling him that they were getting additional help and supplies, and would be on their way shortly.

When Jack returned he took a moment to watch her as she conversed with the man. He had brought Dr. Lancaster and another nurse named Sally with him and when a jeep and a large van pulled around front they jumped in quickly then Jack drove the jeep towards her. "Get in."

She jumped in the jeep with the African man not asking any questions and held on tight as the they peeled out of the yard. It took them only minutes to reach the accident and the scene that greeted them was terrifying.  The minivan, that had been full of people, with a high likelihood that some may have been on top, had overturned.

Rachel raced out of the jeep and immediately headed for those that were the furthest from the van, checking to make sure no one had life threatening injuries while the other three headed for the accident.

"Nurse Edwards!" Dr. Lancaster called out to her.

Rachel patted the lady she had been helping while giving her a word of assurance before she hurried over to where Lancaster was waiting at the van.

"Translate," she ordered.

The next hour was spent in a blur as Rachel ran from patient to patient making sure that every patient was understood if needed. By the time they made it back to the compound word had gotten out about the accident and there were people all over the place taking care of the injured.

Sally and Dr. Lancaster had ridden ahead with other patients, so she and Jack returned together in the jeep with a few of the minor wounded in the back.

"Be sure you check yourself for scratches.  There was a lot of blood, and if you think that there is even a chance that you were exposed to anything let me know."

Rachel nodded silently.

"Where did you learn French?" he asked, looking at her oddly.

"My mother was half French, and she used to take me to my grandparent's house in France every summer when I was little. How about you?"

During the past few hours she had learned that Jack's French was faultless as well.

"I picked it up along the way. Can you read and write it as well?"

Rachel nodded and then was surprised at his sudden outburst. "How the hell did I not know that about you, Ray?"

"Perhaps it was because it was always about father when we were together," she said softly.

"No, not always," he said just as softly, and they both remained quiet until their arrival at the compound where he parked the jeep and left her so he could attend to the patients that needed him still. She watched for a moment as he hurried into the medical building and she wondered what would have happened if that man hadn't made his appearance when he had.  Would she had said what she was thinking? How would he have reacted? 

She let herself dream for a moment that he would welcome her declaration of love, say he felt the same way, and sweep her into his arms. "That's the same fantasy you had when you were fifteen," she chastised herself. "You haven't grown up at all you're still that same awkward teenager who wants nothing more than for the handsome Jack Cooper to notice you."

She gave a weary sigh as she turned to her patients. One thing was for sure. She knew they would be up the rest of the night taking care of the wounded, and she was right, but by the time she had showered and fallen into bed she was too tired to think and fell into a deep sleep.