Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

Ginelle was saddened by the thought, knowing how her father had suffered a disquieting grief after her mother had died. "What happened afterward?" she asked.

Amelia cleared her throat, "Anne and Ross attempted a life together but 'twas difficult, after all, she was a married woman, the wife of a Baron, she couldn't go far without Lord Sterling trailing behind, he refused to let her go, I truly believed he loved her despite all she had done but his thirst for vengeance was far more overpowering than his love."

She paused a moment, reliving those memories as she relayed them quietly. "I was away in Paris when I learned of your mother's death." Her disheartened words affected Ginelle deeply, realizing just how painful it must have been for her.

"Even then you did not look for me?"

"When I asked of you, I was told you had died along with your mother. I was so devastated that it had taken me a very long time to come to terms with your deaths."

"Who told you of my supposed death?"

"Sterling."

Ginelle understood than. "Only too lure you away from me?"

Amelia nodded, "Precisely."

"When did you learn the truth?"

"When I returned from Paris, I visited Cambridge to collect your mother's belongings, among her remaining items, there was one particular piece missing, her locket."

Instinctively, Ginelle reached up and touched the precious trinket beneath her cloak. "You wanted her locket?"

She nodded and said as she reached up and withdrew an identical gold locket from around her neck. "She and I had the same locket given to us at birth by our mother; on the inside are tiny portraits of the other sister."

Ginelle gasped, "You mean the picture within mine is not my mother?"

She nodded, "You carry the locket with my portrait."

"And you have hers?"

She nodded and gently unclasped the locket, revealing her sister's photo. "I returned for her locket, to have it for keepsake but when I found it missing I was surprised by this. From the day she ran Anne had always feared for your fate. She told me once that she would pass her locket to you so that I would find you if ever something became of her. I questioned your death and knew that if you were truly alive, the locket would identify you."

She paused, meeting Ginelle's attentive stare. "Eventually I was informed of your father's murder. I had an inside source relaying information, including Sterling's initial plan to find you and use you to alleviate his revenge against your parents. I feared for your safety and knew not of your whereabouts until my son, Edric came to London and heard of your debut. He came to London in search of you; I kept away, fearing that if Sterling or a man he had hired would recognize me. I did not want to chance them finding you, so I stayed hidden."

Ginelle gasped, remembering the night she had first met Edric. "He was at the banquet."

Amelia nodded, "At my bidding."

"He came to Ashford?"

"I urged him to bring you to me. I was afraid for your safety. I was worried that Sterling and his man were getting close to finding you."