1 - The Boy From the Neighborhood

Start from the beginning

The last time I actually spoke to Leonard was sometime last year when we saw his family at a charity event. I was surprised by how sexist and dirty his jokes and comments were toward me. That day, I knew he was just how the rumours described him and nothing like the boy I used to know when we were little.

"Why is he accompanying us?" I ask my mother.

"Well he too wants to be a doctor and he's about the same age as you. It wouldn't hurt to rekindle your friendship from when you were younger and get to know him a bit more."

"Um... I guess?" I say as a slowly shrug.

"Good," she said. "This is so exciting. I feel like this is going to be a lovely summer."

When breakfast is done, we get ready to leave the house.

"Did you pack your advanced copy of Anatomy?" My dad asks me. "I know school hasn't started yet but it doesn't hurt to get ahead."

"Yes daddy, Lila has assured me that Margery packed it for me. Also Bioethics."

"That's my girl," he says as he kisses me on the forehead.

We get into the sedan and we depart. Our driver, Lance, whistles while he conducts. I roll down the window a few inches and plug my earphones in. I like listening to music while the wind blows on my face. I love the wind. I love how it is so light and free. It travels in different directions at different speeds. No matter how slow or how rapid the speed, it is never visible, however you can feel its presence. It's nowhere but everywhere at the same time. Sometimes I wish I could reincarnate and become the wind.

We drive hours before we finally arrive at the beach house. As soon as the car pulls up to the front door, I bolt out of the car and into the house. I run up the stairs and jump on my bed.
It feels nice to be here.

This beach house is almost as big as my home in Longwood Heights. Instead of seven rooms, it has five. Instead of eight bathrooms, there are only four. Even though my other house is bigger, I prefer this one. I can see the beach from my room and the weather here is a lot nicer. I look out my window and see the sun shining bright glistening over the bright blue waters. I smile. I lay on my bed and call Maddie. I sigh when she doesn't answer. I should have told her I was coming earlier. A knock on my door makes me jump. It's Margery.

"Hello miss Aria, is it okay if I drop off your luggage?."

"Sure Margery, bring it in."

She brings in the luggage and when she leaves, I immediately go digging for my bathing suit.
The first thing I always do when I get here is head to the beach. I put on my favourite blue bikini and wrap and stand in front of my long mirror. I step closer looking at my large gray eyes and my eyebrows which are a bit uneven. I go into my bag searching for my tweezer. Once I finally find it, I pluck it to perfection. I'm a perfectionist, with a little bit of OCD and the unevenness would definitely drive me crazy the entire day. When I finish, I head downstairs. I'm about to exit the door when my mother calls me.

"Aria! Darling, can you come here a second?"
I contemplate leaving and pretending I didn't hear her but I know that isn't the kind of person I am. Instead, I head to the kitchen.

"Look who's here!" She says in excitement.
I look to her left and Leonard is standing by her with a smug look on his face. His face makes me want to punch him.

"Nice, you really know how to rock a bikini," he says winking at me, staring almost exclusively at my breasts. My breasts are probably the biggest part of my body. Not gigantic like Marjory's but a good handful. Actually, the biggest thing on me is probably my hair. It's curly and thick and a hassle sometimes. It's probably good I don't go to high school because doing it everyday would probably give me a headache, especially because it had to look perfect. Or at the very least, symmetrical.

He continues to stare at me, his eyes examining my whole body. I quickly close my wrap which covers up my half-naked body. I look at him surprised that he said that in front of my mom and she didn't even flinch.

Even though I hate him, I have to admit that he is very attractive. He has deep bright blue eyes that remind me of the ocean and shaggy dirty blond hair, the colour of sand. He reminds me of the beach, and I love the beach.

"I was just heading to the beach," I say.

"Would you like me to accompany you?" Leonard asks.

I want to say no, but my mom keeps giving me signals, indicating that I should take him with me."Sure why not," I say.

"Great!" My mom says. "I'll see you two later. Have fun," she says before she leaves the kitchen.

"Alright, let's go," he says.

"Aren't you going to change first?" I ask, noticing he's not wearing proper beach attire.

"You're right," he says as he takes off his shirt. He then unbuttons his pants.

"Wha-what are you doing?"

"I'm changing," he says grinning at me.

I'm not surprised to see that he has a six-pack. What catches me by surprise is the bulge in his shorts that is distracting me from looking anywhere else. He doesn't mind me looking. In fact, he's loving how awkward this moment has become and how my eyes have remained glued to his private area.

"Would you like to see more?" He says to me.
I snap out of my thoughts and immediately look up at him.

"Ew, n-no," I say.

He smirks. "Ew? What, are you scared of it?"

"N-no," I stammer, not knowing how to react.
He comes closer and it makes me uncomfortable. He takes amusement in this.

"You've never seen one before, have you?"

"I-I uh, that's really none of your business." He comes in closer to me and I back up.

"Let's just go," I say as I storm towards the front door.

He trails behind me.