Chapter 11

"My boy, Lillian is a wonderful gal. Surely you'll take a liking to her," Edward spoke, looking at his son who was sitting across from him. They had been traveling to a neighboring kingdom, one that have been a rival since the beginning. "You'll only make me marry her so you can keep the peace between our kingdoms." Edward scoffed. "Nonsense. I'm sure you'll be happy with her."

Aaron averted his gaze out the window. "And what if she's not my mate? She is a human, after all." Edward gave his son a cold look. "Then whoever is your mate shall be killed. Unless, of course, they are royalty." Aaron stayed silent, his mind drifting off somewhere else.

"We are here." A man spoke. The carriage slowed to a halt, then the door opened. "Thank you Jack," the King said, stepping out onto the road. He looked up at a wondrous castle, one made of white bricks and outlined with dark stone. "Beautiful," he muttered as Aaron stepped off the carriage. Something hit Aaron right away, a scent that made his wolf go wild. A beautiful young women and a very handsome young man had walked out to greet them.

"I see that twinkle in your eye my boy," he whispered, "and what luck is it that the princess is your mate." His eyes went to the princess, looking at her up and down. "Welcome to Gastoia. I am Princess Lillian," the young women said with a smile. Edward nodded, motioning his hand to his son. "This is Aaron. I'm happy to meet you." He looked down at his son, seeing he had been staring at the two in front of him, zoning out.

"Say something," he muttered, hitting his arm. Aaron cleared his throat, lowering his head. "I am honored to meet you." Lillian just blinked, then looked back up at the king. "My father is waiting inside, please come."

Lillian lead them through the castle into the throne room, the young man lingered behind them. "Whose the lad behind us?" Edward asked, looking back behind him. "That's Lamar, my older brother. He tends to be independent." Aaron glanced back, meeting a pair of cold brown eyes. He quickly looked away, walking up to Lillian and his father. "How old is he?" "21." Aaron glanced over his shoulder, then straightened up.

The sound of footsteps echoed the hall, until the four finally reaching the throne room. "Ah ha ha ha! King Edward!" Gastoia's King boomed. His face was a bright red and his grey hair was a mess. The princess rushed up to him, putting her hand in his back and leaned over. "Father, are you drunk?" She whispered. He replied with a scoff, then flicked his hand in the air. "Of course not!" He hiccuped. "I'm just a little off, that's all."

Lillian sighed, helping her father stand up and lead him through the door. "I'm so sorry, I'll have my mother speak with you. Lamar," she glanced over at her brother. "Please keep them company while I find her." Aaron watched the drunken King stumble out the door, Lillian there to carry him. Edward looked around the room, then stopped at Lamar.

"Why, I've never seen you before Lamar." Lamar looked up at him with cold chocolate eyes. "Of course, I haven't shown myself to just anyone." Edward rubbed his chin, his fingered bristled at some stubble. "I take it you don't have a queen yet." Lamar just scoffed, putting his hands into his pockets.

"I do not need a queen." That statement made Aaron excited for some reason, made him happy. Lamar moved his attention from the king down to Aaron, who quickly looked away once they met eyes. "You seem strong, my boy. A queen would be perfect for you." Lamar kept his attention on Aaron, then sighed. "I have other objectives."

They stood in the throne room for a while longer, Edward asking questions about Lamar which he either replied with a sentence or not at all. Lillian finally returned, a middle aged women by her side. "Mother, this is King Edward and his son, Aaron." The Queen smiled, lowering her head. "Honored to meet you, and you," she said, walking up to Aaron. "You are very handsome, aren't you?" She said, squeezing one of his cheeks. He backed away chuckling.