Chapter 30: Auror

James was fresh out of Hogwarts and in the middle of his auror training. Like Teddy, James didn't want the easy way in. Most would love a high standing rank for little work, but James felt the need to prove himself. He was, after all, Harry Potter's son.

"Alright James," Teddy said. "Today we'll start real-life crisis work. You're going to shoot curses at whatever object crosses your path and get to the other side."

"Couldn't I just apparate?" James said staring at the small maze.

"Well you can't help the people inside by doin' that, can you? There are four people in peril total and you have five minutes before it all explodes. Are you ready?" James nodded. "GO!"

He entered the maze, a vine already trying to attack it. "Reducto!" It shriveled up and slid back to the cracks on the wall. He found his first person, a man who was stunned, covered in some thick black plant. "Devil's Snare..." James thought a moment, reminiscing a time when Jillian helped him study for N.E.W.T.s. in the Gryffindor commons.

"Devil's Snare don't like sunlight, James," she said, "like you in the morning."

"Incendio!" James muttered. The man was relieved from the plant and James brought him back, ("Ennervate").

He continued along the maze, finding two more people on his way, a woman and her child cornered by a "Death Eater". He stunned the Death Eater and the two carefully joined him and the man. They seemed to be a family, James thought as he kept wandering. "Point Me". His wand pointed forward, he was going the right way.

"TWO MINUTES!" Teddy voice shouted.

"One more person," James muttered. Alas he found a teenage girl screaming in a dead end, a snake slithering in front of her. A chest lay hidden behind leaves. "Riddikulus!" he shouted. The snake turned into a small worm and went back into the cabinet. "Come on, we've only got a few moments!" James led them through the maze, knocking out Death Eaters, killing plants, and answering a puzzling question to get his way out. He survived with five seconds left. The family who trailed him, not much help, waved their wands and James recognized them as other aurors.

"Well done James, close call, but well done," Teddy said. "How about lunch?"

James walked out of the training room and saw a redhead he knew all to well talking with Kingsley Shacklebolt. The man looked up and smiled, "Ah James, your fathers been lookin' for you."

"Alright, I'll find him later."

"I'll leave you two then. But Quill, I expect you'll be back in twenty minutes for apparation." She nodded.

"Exhausting, isn't it?" Tegan said.

"Yeah," James couldn't deny it. His body was already sweating. "What've you been doing?"

"Well we just finished transfiguring things to hide trails. Whaddabout you?"

"Defense."

"You reckon Fred's having a good time with Puddlemore United?" James nodded. "I wonder how Jillian's doing, with being a Healer and all."

"Don't you live with her?" James said.

"Yes, but I don't see her during the day considering we're both in training."

After Hogwarts, James and Fred bought a flat together in London, not too far from Godric's Hollow. They split rent, with James's family inherit and Fred's joke shop earnings. It was two bedroom's a kitchen, living room, and three bathrooms. Even Harry was surprised with their findings. Jillian and Tegan got a flat also, moving in only a floor above them, except it was two bathrooms, not three.