Morning After

Vincent woke groggily, reaching up to feel bandages on his eyes. As the events of the past day came back into his memory, he smiled. If all had gone well, he'd be sighted, or at least partially sighted. But, if they hadn't, he'd be blind.

He didn't really mind, either way. Sure, if the surgery was botched, it'd still cost him money, but that wasn't really what mattered. What mattered were the people in his life, his closest friends and his partner. And he knew that he could be gay, bi, trans, white, black, purple, sighted, blind, or any mixture or thing in between, and the people who really cared about him would still be by his side, no matter what.

"I told you I'd try to be here, didn't I?"

He gasped a little at the sound of that familiar voice, flinging his arms out for a hug, which was quickly given and returned, along with a peck on the cheek. "Boss let me off work today to see you. He said it was admirable... that we must be 'really good friends'." He chuckled. "And even better: the doctors said things went amazingly. And that you can leave today."

Vincent couldn't help it, he let out a small squeal of excitement at the news. "That's amazing, Scott!" He was practically bouncing on the hospital bed. "Can we go now? Right now?" He sounded like a child, asking to go to an amusement park. But what he was anticipating was much more than an adrenaline rush and some cotton candy. He had a lifetime of sight to look forward to, and it started when these bandages came off.

"I have to finish up some things here, paperwork and all, but sure, why not?"

Vincent jumped out of bed, pulling Scott into a tight hug. "Oh, t-thank you... f-for everything..." He sniffled a bit, and Scott tilted his head up with a finger and looked at him. "Hey, no crying, alright? At least, not until you have your bandages off." He chuckled, and the two walked out hand in hand, preparing for what was ahead.