10-Distance

Chapter 10

And I will make sure to keep my distance
Say "I love you" when you're not listening
And how long can we keep this up, up, up?

-"Distance" by Chrstina Perri

When I packed my bags to move into this mansion, I didn't think I would be doing anything that required me to wear a dress, based on previous seasons, but since Peyton's charity was a formal event, I had no choice.

After looking through all my clothes three times, I finally decided that I would find nothing of my own.

I thought about my choices. Emma was at least two sizes smaller than me, so she was out, Peyton was maybe my size but she was taller than me and her clothes would all probably look too long on me, then finally Aubryey. Aubrey was about my size but I doubted she had brought any dresses with her.

Peyton it was.

I walked out of my room, down the hallway, and opened the door to Peyton and Matthew's rooms, not bothering to knock.

"Hey, Peyton do you have anything I could wear?" I asked before looking up.

Matthew was sitting on his bed, wearing dress pants, a dress shirt and a tie. His hair, usually perfectly messed up, was now a little more tamed; he looked good.

"Wow, someone's doing the most," I teased.

Matthew looked up at me, a half smile on his face. "Wow, someone didn't try at all," he said back.

I rolled my eyes. I was still wearing shorts and a t shirt from when I woke up this morning. I looked like a hot mess compared to him. "Whatever, where's Peyton?"

He nodded his head to the closet and I walked over to it. "Peyton?" I called, poking my head inside. She was bent down, rummaging through shoes, I think, then she looked up at me.

"Which one's are better?" She asked and stood up. She held up two pairs of shoes, that to me looked identical, but obviously not to her.

I raised my eyebrow. "Uhhh, that one?" I said, pointing at one hand randomly.

Her shoulders slouched. "Really? I thought these would go better with this dress."

I stepped a little closer. "Okay, then that one. I just wanted to know if I could borrow a dress. I didn't pack any."

She tilted her head to the side. "Didn't they ship your closet like they did mine?"

Now it was my turn to be confused. They got their closets shipped to them? What happened to equality in America? "No..." I said.

Peyton shrugged, then turned back down to her shoes. "Go ahead and wear whatever you want."

I smiled then looked at the closet. That was when I noticed the true enormity of this closet. First things first: the closets they provided us all were unnecessarily huge. My own closet had barely any clothes, with mile wide spaces in between each hanger, but Peyton's was the exact opposite. Although neat, every inch of the closet was occupied with clothing. I don't know how I didn't realize when I first walked in.

I opened my mouth to ask Peyton how she navigated this maze, when I realized that all her dresses were in one section. I walked over to the section and started rummaging through, not really paying attention to the design of the dress, only paying attention to whether or not it would fit me. I found a blue dress that would probably be minuscule length on Peyton, so just right for me.