Hatchlings

Natasha POV

   I woke up in the shield infirmary. I was groggy and slow at first, but slowly and surely I woke up. When I looked around the first thing I noticed was that I was the only one here. The second thing I noticed was that right next to my bed there was a stand. Like a tripod. And on this tripod there was an egg. It looked like a black scaled ostrich egg. I stood up to get a better look at it and as I did the director came in.

"Glad to see you're awake." Said Nick as he walked over to me. "I know you're probably confused so I'll get straight
to the point..."

Nick explained what had happened, Thor and Loki had a curse summoned upon them, a curse that would soon spread to all shield members on board the helicarrier. Including me. We would all become dragons if Thor and Loki couldn't work together. At the moment, Thor and Loki had been reverted into dragon eggs. The curse would only affect the rest of the base after they had reached full adult hood, and as the first person dragon Loki saw, it was my responsibility to see that he survives the next few months. His blacked scaled egg sat on a stand right next to my bed.

"So he's in there?" I said as I looked at the egg.
"Yes, and Rogers has been charged with Thor's care. I'll let you two figure the rest out..." Said Nick as he headed for the door.

"Me and Rogers?" I asked.

"No... You and Loki. Thor and Steve have already figured it out. But I reckon it won't take Loki long." He said as he walked away. I had no clue what he was even talking about.

"You're confusion is just, agent Romanoff." Said a voice that appeared to be in my head.

"Loki?" I said aloud.

"Yes, and I believe it's time for me to hatch... I need FIRE in my veins...." He said excitedly. "If there is one thing I've never been... It's a dragon." I saw the black egg squirm and wiggle a bit.

"Maybe not yet.... A few more hours. I think, until I'm ready to hatch." Said Loki as the egg, once again, became still. Suddenly I heard footsteps. I turned to see Steve in the doorway. He had small dull yellow looking dragon half perched, half clinging to his shoulder.

"Are you feeling better Natasha?" asked Thor. It felt weird hearing Thor's voice come from thin air.

"Yes, as a matter of fact I am." I said as I looked around the room some more. "So what happens when he hatches?"

"The shell of his egg will become more and more brittle as time goes on. Then when it's time he'll be able to break out no problem." Said Steve. "Or at least that's what Thor tells me anyway."

"Well, we'll leave you two to it then." Said Thor.

"Bye Nat." Said Rogers.

"Bye Steve." I replied. as soon as they left i turned to Loki's egg. Slowly I touched the side of it. It felt cool, and smooth. I gently began to lift it off the stand with both hands. Without warning it slipped right out of my hands. For a second my mind went straight into panic mode, but soon my lightning fast releases kicked in. I snatched the egg out of mid air and set it back down on the stand again. 

"Best not to do that again, I think..." Said Loki.

"Maybe you're right." I said as I sat down on the bed.

"I know I'm right." He said cockily.

"Just remember who's the egg-head here." I replied. He chuckled.

"Looks like I'm not the only one with a bit of wit around here." If I didn't know any better I might of thought I heard some genuine joy in his words. But I know Loki, and I know he's a good actor.