Chapter 6...

We seached frantically for the right tree with the right flowers. My heart was beating fast; what happens if James dies before I reach him or another tribute sneaks up on them and attacks them? Samantha seemed to be thinking the same thing. 

Footsteps came thundering behind us and we both stopped, panting and staring at each other. What do we do now? 

"Quick, start climbing that tree. I'll hold them off." I bit my lip and started to climb a sturdy oak. Samantha positioned her arms to fight off attackers. We were in a clearing at the moment, and I had climbed the only tree there. I could see the tributes coming closer and closer. A girl with dark curly hair and glasses, and a young boy with dark red hair... Rich and Cassandra!! I was about to climb down, but I saw they were being followed. 

"Nowhere to hide." A deep voice rasped.  Ruby! My breathing thinned. She held a dagger and had another knife in her belt buckle. Her hands were red with blood and she scared the living daylights out of me. She wore a gray shirt that was ripped at the sleeves and green camo pants.  Cassandra had arrows but no bow.I had a bow, and I knew that I should climb down and give it to her, then run. Rich cowered behind Cassandra since she was nearly a foot taller than him. Samantha stood near the tree I was in, and she hadn't been noticed by the three tributes. Yet. "Nowhere to run." 

"Stay away from them!" I jump out of the tree safely (I wasn't too far from the ground) and run to their rescue. Samantha, who is still in hiding, slaps her face. I know that wasn't part of the plan, but I'm not letting my friend and my cousin  be killed. Especially not by Ruby. I hand Cassandra the bow and turn to Ruby, trying to look as scary as possible. Ruby is strong and nimble, but she's outnumbered four to one. We might have a chance of survival. Cassandra and Rich look totally surprised. 

"Ah, Scarlett. Long time, no see." Ruby snarls and comes closer, tightly gripping the dagger. Her curly dark hair is tied back with a piece of bloody fabric and her breath smells of meat. What is she, some kind of cannibal? I shiver and stand my ground. Cassandra stands by my side, holding the bow with an arrow in it an a half full quiver on her back. Her dark blue eyes are worried, and her lip is bleeding. I need to make sure she stays alive. I need to save James, too. We're running out of time. 

"Stay away, you little brat." Samantha comes out of hiding and growls. Ruby is off guard and stumbles, surprised. Now both Cassandra and Samantha back her into a tree. I rush to Richard when I have the chance. We hug and he gives me his helpless puppy-dog blue eyes. I stand behind Cassandra incase she needs backup. 

"Where is James?! What did you do to him?!" Cassandra starts at once, her voice cracking. She hold her bow n arrow at Ruby's throat. If Ruby so much as shook from a sneeze or moved a single inch, the arrow would kill her. Tears streamed down Cassandra's face,yet she looked fierce and a bit terrifying. 

"I didn't... I haven't seen him." Ruby's slim fingers gripped her dagger and she pointed the point at Cassandra. "Now go away before I murder you." Cassandra slightly backed away, still facing Ruby with her weapon out. 

"Ain't no one's gonna murder her." Samantha started. With perfect accurary, she kicked the dagger out of Ruby's hand. "No one's gonna kill anybody."

"Don't speak so fast." Ruby pulled a second knife out, and I knew I had to do something. But what? James had ten minutes at most to survive, with five minutes for me to look for the Witchhazel if I sprinted and didn't run into trouble. I grabbed the dagger she had dropped and slipped it into my belt. 

"Samantha..." I started slowly. Cassandra stood her ground while Samantha turned to me. 

"What?"

"James."

"James?!" Cassandra started at once, fresh tears on her cheeks. "What about James? Have you seen him?"