Chapter 5- The start of the Games: Day one

A single day of freedom went by quite quick. Soon, it was the start of the games. I had no idea what to expect; a frozen wasteland? A zombie apocalypse? A prehistoric time where dinosaurs ran wild? I woke up nearly three hours before I had to, my stomach a ball of nerves. I tiptoed into Rich's room quietly. He had woken up early too. He even brushed his hair.

"Hey." I whispered in a small voice.

"Hey. I guess this is the last day of my life."

"Richard Fredrick O'Harris! How dare you say that! We are sticking together till the end. Don't you dare say otherwise." I scolded him, sitting on his bed and frowning. "Do you want to study my pamphlets?"

"Sure." Rich frowned, looking up at me with his bright blue eyes. "Let's do this." I grabbed my papers and covered the answers as a study guide.

"Okay,  picture this: you're walking in the woods, and you see this." I pointed to the paper. " What do you do? Would you eat this?" This was a pretty hard question. It was a mushroom, and there are a lot  of poisonous ones.

"Uh... I would eat it. It doesn't have the white brimmed cap, so I think it would be okay."

I nodded and grinned. "Great. You've got this. Don't worry." I gripped his hand. "Together till the end."

"Okay," He grinned slyly. "Together till the end. Promise?"

I frowned and rolled my eyes. "Of course, silly! You think I'm joking? We'll stick together." I passed out the 'survival study guides' and we sat reading for a while, until Justin knocked a million times on our door. God, he's the one of the only things I won't miss when I'm in the games.

"Hey!!! Big day!!! Come on, you two!! You're going into the games at noon! Have breakfast, sillies! Then your stylists are going to get you dressed up. So exciting!!" I checked my watch; It was nine. Three hours till the game. Justin rushed us out and had an Avox clean up both of our rooms, because he had no faith in us that we would survive the games and return back to the rooms. Thanks, buddy! Really nice of you! Gee, thanks! Totally appreciate it!

Rich and I sat down next to eat other and stuffed ourselves. Hey, if you had only a few hours until a life threatening situation, wouldn't you try to relax. Patricia and Violet frowned at us.

"Honey, if you stuff yourself now, you'll puke later in the games. You'll be so nervous all that stuff is going to come right back up. Slow down." She tsked-tsked at us. I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists, trying not to get angry at this annoying woman. I slowed down reluctantly. Rich ignored her and kept stuffing his face with food. I suppressed a snicker at the way he kept eating with his mouth open and had Patricia nearly  wanting to tear his head off.

After we finished eatting, we were dragged by our stylists. I couldn't believe it, but I enjoyed it. I was fitted into a brown hoodie and brown thermals that were thick and comfy. The material was fire proof, water proof, and could keep me from freezing in negative temperatures. I wan't allowed to bring any large objects with me, but Patricia said I would be able to keep my necklace. I felt the cool metal and had a sudden surge of homesickness. I would never see my brother again.

No! I told myself. You are an O'Harris! You are not going down without a fight. And certaintly not in the games. You'll survive. Don't you dare doubt yourself now. 

I held hands with Rich as we were escorted to a plane to take us into the games. For twenty three people, the plane was a one-way ticket. I wonder who the lucky person will be that survives. I hope it'll be me. I knew the plane held the twenty two other tributes. I wonder where we would be. A haunted castle? A barren, frozen wilderness? Under the sea? I have no experience swimming at all. What am I going to do if we do that? I tried to calm myself and think of my sister, and sticking with Rich till the end. I hope little Elizabeth will be okay. I know it would be horrible if James or Cassandra die, because the other twin would be heartbroken. I wonder what will happen.