Chapter 1

October 2016

"Rae'Lyn, could you close the door, please? I'm freezing as fuck!" Hearing my sister constantly complaining about the house being cold is getting on my nerves. Why doesn't she just get dressed more instead of disturbing me?

"Did you hear me? Close that fucking door." Upon seeing me hesitate, she's reiterating the command with even more energy but also sounding more annoying than before.

"Why don't you close it, Laniah?" I snap back. "Or else, put on a fucking sweater." As soon as I pronounce that sentence, she gives up and closes the door herself, then she flips me off before storming back to her room, probably to get dressed.

What's wrong with her? Usually, she and I get on well, but her sudden change of heart is inexplicable. Moreover, her birthday is coming soon and, what's worse, I have no ideas of what to do, starting on what to make or buy her as a gift.

I have to admit this has been an intense period. Last week, I had to plan a birthday party for my cousin Haven, who was turning sixteen; obviously, the event had to be lavish, something that makes other people envy you. I think even the press was involved in it. I really hope she'll thank me after I did her such a huge favor.

Two weeks ago, it was the turn of my other cousins, Layla and Alaiyah. In this case, I had to organize a fairy-themed party for their eleventh birthday, and everything had to match perfectly, starting with colors (as they are twins) and then going through every other single detail.

Lastly, three weeks ago, Cassie, who's my friend Avyannah's older sister, graduated college and therefore someone had to take charge of the after-graduation party: obviously, Avyannah and I were begged to do so, but no-one, apart from Cassie herself, even bothered to say a simple "thank you". I wasn't that upset, but my friend clearly was.

And, now, I have to worry about Laniah's birthday, which is in, guess what, three days. Naturally, I want it to be an absolute surprise: if she finds out we're doing that behind her back and failing, she'll be crushed as she has very high expectations. Well, for being just a fourteen-year-old she's a bit too demanding, but who cares? As long as they're met, she'll be happy.

***

Today is the day that decides whether I'll nail this party or I'll fail it. Laniah may be demanding, but, after all, she's just my sister. In spite of her giving me a hard time quite often, I still love her.

Avyannah and my other friends, Melinda and Kaytelind, are also here, to help me to organize every single detail as well as make sure that no-one will ruin the surprise. Meanwhile, Mom and Dad are with Laniah, trying to distract her as much as they can.

I really hope they'll be able to do so, because I'm not really in the mood of bearing with a hormonal fifteen-year-old-to-be. However, Melinda is trying cheering me up. "Don't worry, Rae. Whatever happens, she'll still love you." Nonetheless, I still doubt it'll happen: Laniah can be very resentful.

Avyannah and Kaytelind have the hard task of calling Laniah's friends (she has so many!) to invite them to come round as well as warn them not to tell her anything as - I know, I'm saying that again - this is supposed to be a surprise.

On the other hand, Melinda and I have to set everything for the party as well as make the birthday cake - because what kind of party would be without a cake? - and a lot of other sweet treats. Huh. I love making them, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to make way too many, it becomes stressful.

What doesn't help, anyway, is that Melinda is putting too much pressure on me with her obsession for perfection, especially in small details. I wish I could shut her up with one of those cookies, but, hey, we must wait for the party girl to come.

Little does she know is that we're also planning to have someone special come round (I don't even think to know myself that person). I really hope Mom and Dad are doing their duty.

Oh, here comes a text from Dad. 'We're done with all the absurd things you forced us to do. Now, we're coming with your sister. That's it.'

We're screwed. Dad is about to ruin our surprise. What's worse is that we're not even done with the preparation process. At least, though, Avyannah and Kayte have just finished calling all the invited people, which means they can help us. The more, the merrier, as it's said.

As soon as people start coming in, Kayte puts them through a sort of test that wants to prove that no-one attempted to tell Laniah anything about the event. Naturally, they all look scared at her menacious glares, especially when she seems to want to call them liars; however, I previously warned her against doing so, otherwise they would just call her nuts and leave.

Another message from Dad threatens to make me possibly rage at him from a long distance. 'We're almost here. You'd better be done with all the stuff, before I tell your sister the truth.' To be honest, I never liked his behavior, especially when he has to reprimand us. Better say, it always seems as he just wants to do so and never lets us enjoy ourselves. Everything is a good excuse for him to punish us. Laniah is scared by him; I, on the other hand, have resented him for a long time, especially when I suspected he was cheating on Mom.

Anyway, I won't let those thoughts ruin the party atmosphere. At least, we've just finished preparing everything. Now, lights can be turned down. No-one shall make any noise since now.

We just hide behind some furnitures, waiting for the birthday girl to come. Oh, I can hear footsteps. Someone must be approaching the place. It can be anyone, seriously.

The steps are getting even louder, to the point that I realize they are here. We must make one last effort. After that, it's just about enjoying the party.

Then, I throw a quick glance at the entrance door without being noticed. Perfect. Mom, Dad and Laniah are already here. The former immediately turns the light on; later on, the others, without even being told anything, pop out and yell, "Surprise!" I can only follow them.

My sister can't help frowning, but that frown turns into a smile as soon as I approach her to hold her tight in a hug. "Happy birthday, little sister!" She must be overjoyed by the surprise; after all, I told everyone my plan wouldn't fail. Luckily, Laniah's expectations, as well as my own, have been met. Now we can definitely say the party may begin.