Chapter 12: The Deal's to be Repaid

A/N: Cliffhangers. Also, I need advice. I'm going to make a poll for you to comment on. What should that potion have done to Alec? A) Made him immortal. B) Poisoned him. C) Medelled with his memories and brain. Comment! Anywho, Malec above along with Adventure Time Medley piano tutorial. Plus, there is a MAJOR spoiler in this, even if I mentioned it in the first chapter, still, SPOILER WARNING! It may be small and easily missed but it's there.

---

"How is he?" Magnus asked Zachariah as he left the infirmary.

"Healing. There might be a way to fix the lost runes and put them back where they were. So, that's good news for his Parabatai rune." Zachariah explained.

"Can I see him?" Magnus questioned hopefully. Zachariah gave him a warm smile.

"In fact, he's been asking for you." Zachariah smiled. Magnus grinned and opened the door to the infirmary. There, sat in one of the beds, was Alec, reading.

"Oh, my Alexander." Magnus breathed and made his way over. Alec raised his head at the spoken words and his face lit up.

"Magnus!" he greeted, placing his book down to the side and reaching up to grab Magnus by the back of his neck and pull him into a kiss. When they pulled back, Magnus sat on the chair beside Alec, taking his hand.

"How do you feel?" Magnus asked. Alec sighed and used his free hand to rub over his face.

"Tired." he responded. Magnus gave him an encouraging smile. "My wrists are still burning slightly because they're afraid of the effects the stele might have. I had runes stripped so they don't know if the stele will have negative effects." Magnus nodded in understanding and raised Alec's hand to his mouth and gently kissed the slowly healing thin lines that were embedded there by the damn wire Lucca used on him.

"I don't care about that." Magnus whispered, lowering Alec's hand. "All that matters to me is that you, my dear, are alive. That's all I care about. You are alive and speaking and still fighting."

Before Alec had the chance to speak back, Zachariah came in, holding some papers, his brow furrowed and concern etching his features. "Alexander, as I understand it, Lucca gave you a potion?" It was more a question than a statement.

"Yes..." Alec trailed, his hand tensing in Magnus's.

"Was it purple?" Zachariah asked.

"I think so, yeah. Why?"

"Did it shine?" Zachariah was becoming tenser by the answer, his knuckles becoming white as he clutched the paper.

"Y... Yeah." Alec stammered out.

Zachariah closed his eyes and sighed. "Oh, Alexander. I am so sorry."

*~+~*

"I'm going to kill that son of a-"

"ISABELLE! LANGUAGE IF YOU PLEASE!" Maryse yelled at her daughter. Izzy huffed and mumbled something about priorities. Maryse turned to look at Zachariah. "Can you confirm it or is it just a hunch?" she asked. Zachariah shook his head.

"It was in his blood work. I did a draw to check for poisons as Magnus was out cold. I had to be sure and what Alexander told me, it's all I need." Zachariah sighed.

"And there isn't anything you can do?" Robert asked.

"I'm afraid not." Zachariah mumbled, placing his head in his hands. "It's irreversible." At that moment, worse timing ever, the alarms for non-angelic matter showed up on the radar. Something or someone was getting close to the Institute doors. Izzy sprang up and made her way to the Institute doors and opened them. There stood Camille in a beautiful velvet red dress.

"What do you want?" Izzy asked, it coming out more like a growl.

"As I understand it, you have your Alexander back." Camille smirked. Izzy stood her ground and nodded slowly. "I have come to claim my price. If you will notify Magnus for me I will-"

"No need. I know you're here." came an exasperated voice from behind Izzy.

"Magnus, you can't. Alec needs you here." Izzy exclaimed.

"I know. Camille, please, is there something else I can give you?" Magnus tried. Camille grinned a sharp-toothed grin and shook her head.

"I want you, Magnus Bane." Magnus closed his eyes for a split second.

"You knew, didn't you?" Magnus asked quietly. Camille froze, her expression changing to that of remorse.

"I'm afraid I do. I tried to stop him, I swear on the Devil I did. He wouldn't listen." Camille muttered.

"I believe you." Magnus exhaled.

"Camille Belcourt." a loud, booming voice echoed from behind Magnus and Izzy, causing them to jump. Someone that hadn't been there all that long. Consul Jia Penhallow?

"Jia?" Izzy asked. Jia moved forward with expert grace.

"Camille Belcourt," Jia repeated. "You are under arrest for breaking Clave Law and aiding in the kidnapping of Alexander Gideon Lightwood." Jia said, monotonously. Jia raised a hand and signalled waiting Shadowhunters who ran forward and grabbed Camille, binding her hands with runed shackles. Camille hissed at Magnus.

"You told them?!" she screeched, trying to fight back.

"I... I didn't say anything to anyone!" Magnus protested.

"No. Magnus didn't." Jia spoke, sullenly.

"I did." came a loud, this time recognisable, voice. Magnus whirled for what he felt like was the tenth time that day and saw Alec standing there, carefully leaning on Jace as though not to crush the smaller.

"But you told Lucca that you would let him go free! You swore on the Angel!" Camille screamed. Alec shook his head and started forward with Jace keeping him upright.

"No. No, I didn't. I just swore. No Angel was sworn on. And Lucca didn't specify how long he had to be free for. He's been free for two days now. Long enough." Alec growled at Camille. Camille let out another hiss at Alec this time but Alec just looked at her, his eyes dead and his face emotionless. Magnus had only seen Alec like this once before and that was when Max had died.

"Take her away." Jia ordered and the guards took Camille through a waiting portal that no-one had noticed had been opened. Before Jia went through, she turned to look at Alec.

"Thank you. We will find Lucca Santiago. I am sorry for what happened to you." Jia consoled. Alec remained silent and his face void of any emotion, which, in Magnus's eyes, was quite unsettling. Jia ran through the portal and it rapidly closed behind her. Alec moved away from Jace's support and, using the wall, made his way back down the hallway.

"Alec!" Jace called after him. Alec's step faltered for a moment before he fell back into stride and kept going.

"What's gotten into him?" Izzy asked.

"Well, if you had been told that news, you wouldn't exactly be excited would you." Jace snarled, his golden eyes burning with hatred toward Lucca. Moments later, there was a loud bang and a cry. Magnus looked down the hallway. Nothing. He ran after Alec who he found stood facing his bedroom door, which was wide open. Alec's eyes were wide and he was panting, leaning against the wall for support.

"Alec?" Magnus asked, reaching over and touching Alec's shoulder who all but collapsed into Magnus's arms.

"He's... He's here. Lucca's been here." Alec cried. Izzy and Jace, who had followed Magnus walked into Alec's room and instantly spotted the new writing that was scrawled onto Alec's room in the same substance as before, the previous was gone.

"Oh... Oh no." Izzy gasped. Alec turned his head into Magnus's shoulder as Magnus held him upright.

"We could've been together forever. Now you turn me in. Prepare for the worst, Alexander. I'm coming." Jace read. Alec's grip on Magnus's jacket tightened. Jace looked back at Alec with a look of complete horror. "Contact the Clave." Jace told Izzy, not looking away from Alec's seemingly weakened form. When Izzy didn't move, Jace's expression changed to anger and he turned on her. "NOW!"