Chapter 9//Confession Session

Amber's p.o.v.

All we do is eat, sleep, walk, repeat. Please notice how there is no talking. It's getting so boring. Jay just doesn't talk. I blame him but then I don't blame him at the same time. We are both cranky due to lack of sleep. If we open our mouths we will most probably say something we regret. I risk a side glance at Jay. There is a small frown on his face. A second later, it's gone and then it's back again. It looks like he is having a conversation with himself. It would be really nice if he spoke out loud.

I sigh and look forward again. I don't like silence. It gives me more time to think and that's something that I really don't want to do right now. Reminiscing won't get me anywhere at this point of time. I miss Gerald and mom and dad but surprisingly I don't miss Small Town. I feel homesick not because I miss the familiarity of Small Town but because I miss the people that made up my definition of home.

Last night I thought I heard Gerald. I can positively say that I am losing my mind. I'm suddenly pushed aside. I yelp in surprise and look towards Jay. Turns out that he was so lost in his own thoughts that he didn't notice I was right next to him.

Now that I've been snapped out of my thoughts I'm suddenly aware of how bad I smell.

"Can we stop for 2 minutes?" I ask Jay.

"Sure." Jay says as he drops his bag and sits down on the floor. I don't know how to tell him that I want to change my clothes so I stand on the other side of the hallway trying to figure out what to say.

"Um... Jay?" I say nervously. His head snaps up and he looks at me and waits for me to continue.

"Could you... Can you..." I don't know what to say. I can feel my cheeks heat up and I'm sure that I look like a tomato right now. "I um... Need to..."

Jay is looking at me like I'm retarded. "Can you turn around, please?" I finally say.

"So you can kill me? No way. I didn't walk this far for you to kill me." He says jokingly. DOES HE NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M TRYING TO HINT?

" I need to...um...do something." I say and then bite on my lip.

"I don't think peeing here is a good thing to do. I might have a bottle here somewhere." He starts rummaging through his bag. This is so embarrassing!

"I don't need to pee, idiot. I want to change my clothes." I say. His lips form an o and he starts blushing furiously. Well, he should be embarrassed. He scratches the back of his neck. "Sure. You could've just told me before." He murmurs, still embarrassed.

He turns around and I change as fast as I can. I'm done in less than a minute.

"I'm done." I say quietly. He turns around.

"I'll change too. I think I've forgotten what it's like to have a bath." He says. I turn around quietly and wait for him to finish changing. When he says that he is done I turn around. As soon as I do I feel something warm on my lips. It's seconds later that I am able to process what is happening. That warm thing on my lips are Jay's lips. Jay is kissing me. Wait. What? JAY IS KISSING ME! I push him away. He staggers back. When I see his heartbroken face, my world collapses because I know that things between us will never be the same.

******************

Jay's p.o.v.

I'm so confused. I want to tell Amber that I like her but I can't. I can but I don't have it in me to tell her. I've liked her for 4 years and me telling her that I like her can really mess things up. That is something that I don't want. I don't want to lose the friendship that we have developed over the years. She is my best friend. I do have other friends back in Small town but she is the only one I like. As a crush and as a friend. I'm so lost.