Chapter 6//Weird Encounters

Jay's p.o.v.

We left Small Town.

Oh my god, we left Small Town.

OH. MY. GOD. WE LEFT SMALL TOWN.

Did I mention that we left Small Town.

I am in complete shock. I never thought that I'd go through with the plan. We are in a dingy hallway. Where is this hallway? I have no idea. Where does it lead? I still have no idea. What are we going to do now? I still have no idea!

I look across and I see Amber sleeping soundly with her back resting on the wall. I don't like having crushes. Amber is my first crush and I've like her for about 3 years. I'm not sure if that's normal but in all honesty, I don't really care.

I further down the hallway. Not too far, just far enough that I can still see Amber's sleeping figure. I turn my flashlight on and loom ahead. There is absolutely nothing ahead. To turns or doors. I walk back.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that I should wake Amber up. I'm not sure what to do and she is usually the one with all of the ideas. I bend down and gently shake her awake. "Hey. Wake up." I whisper. I don't know why I whisper since there is no one else around to wake up. Her eyes flutter open. "Hey." She whispers. She looks around and says,"So it wasn't a dream." and then chuckles. Now I'm annoyed. What's so funny in this? We are lost. We might run out of food and water. We have no idea where we are going. We might die. Please explain the joke to me.

This is not the time to be angry. We have to survive and I'm sure that we don't have to make that even more difficult by screaming at each other.

"What are we going to do from here?" I ask as calmly as I can.

"Keep moving forward, I guess." She replies with uncertainty in her voice. I guess? I GUESS? We left Small Town and are in an unfamiliar place and she's still not sure of where we are going. I won't be surprised if there was steam coming out from my ears. Deep breath in and out.

In and out.

In and out.

"Jay?" Hello! Earth to Jay." She says. She is really making it hard for me to be calm.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"What were you doing?"

"Sniffing for danger." I say lamely. Really? Is that the best excuse I could come up with? Stupid, stupid brain.

Amber simply raises her eyebrows up, shrugs and starts walking forward. I take one last deep breath and follow her. Why? I don't know.

We walk silently for awhile until I hear footsteps. They weren't your normal footsteps. This was different. It was more silent. Amber seems to hear it too because she stops abruptly making me bump into her. She turns around and gives me a stern look. Someone's PMSing. We stand there waiting for this person to reveal himself or herself. 

In a few seconds this large hairy creature presents itself. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm scared. I'm so damn scared. Ever since we left small town I keep looking over my shoulder scared that a Guard might be following but now, I think we have a bigger problem.I look at Amber and by her posture and see that she is not scared at all, in fact she seems curious. Ok, now I feel stupid. I seriously need to, what's that term they use again? Oh ya. 'Man up'. So I puff my chest (I don't know why) and start walking...macho style. I should do this more often.