Chapter 9: Jasiri

The cloudy first days of winter were now upon them. It was constantly snowing, and Jasiri would have liked to have Shaped together some sturdier winter clothing to protect them against the cold. He'd seen some excellent designs in Lawrence's memories that gave him a million ideas; but Lawrence's firm instructions not to use Shaping were still in effect. So he settled down for the traditional travel garb of his people: a woollen shirt, some time-worn leather trousers, and a traditional coat of fur.

Lawrence was still wearing his odd but efficient motley of clothing. It was torn and stained of mud and dry blood from his ordeal with the slavers. Although he could use Shaping, he remained steadfast and refused to clean and repair it with but a thought.

Jasiri's father offered him a change of clothes, but he declined the offer. He said he couldn't intrude on their kindness any further. He would trade something for the new clothes, a tent, and a mount instead.

Digging into his pile of belongings that they'd transported from the cave. He retrieved a strange looking device. It was shaped like a small stick, and Jasiri instantly knew it for what it was.

It was a plasma cutter. A common tool in the old-world, and a priceless relic by today's standards.

When Lawrence turned it on, his mother and his father gasped as the blade shimmered into existence. It was red, violet, and blue; all intermixing and mingling in a wild variety of configurations. Jasiri was cursing himself for not discovering it earlier.

The device consumed air and produced the scorching blade by means of a laser-induced plasma channel. Jasiri thought the device was extraordinary, but the power cell must have been something else entirely to produce so much power. He was quite pleased with himself for knowing about such matters. Although he wondered how Lawrence had kept it working all this time.

When he asked him, Lawrence told him that to pass the time, he maintained, fixed, and restored an assortment of gear every day back in his hideout.

This sparked Jasiri's interest. When he asked him where that hideout was, Lawrence told him that it was very far away from here, and that every few years, he would set out in a random direction, and just walk. He told him that this time, his long walk had brought him this way.

He would take them there one day if they had the chance.

~*~

It was the tenth day since the start of his adventure, and it was Jasiri's proving. It was his Bloom.

He was finally eighteen, a man grown.

Although he'd proven himself many times over already, he was looking forward to this. The Bloom was important to him, and an equally important yearly ritual for his tribe. Proving years were especially celebrated, what with the extra festivities and all.

He would make his father – and Lawrence – proud. He was brimming with excitement and anticipation.

The entire tribe was gathered to wish him good luck and bid him farewell on his month-long journey. They whispered kind words and encouragements to him. They, too, would pack and gather their tents and travel to their winter homes in the distant Sky Fang mountain after the Bloom. The Great Water Serpent, Sauti Ya Baridi, would protect their passage on their journey.

Lawrence had accepted the duty – and great honour – of being his Spirit Guide, despite his recent ordeal.

To be chosen as a Spirit Guide for a proving despite his ignorance of their tribe's customs showed that the tribe held him in very high regard, and valued his wisdom immensely. With this simple act, he was essentially acknowledged as a full member of the Kilio Bundi tribe. With the blessings and approval of the tribe's elder.