Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

            Thora lifted her head and smiled a timid smile. “You agree than?”

            She laughed, “I think we’ve validated that already.”

            Thora giggled.

            “Mayhap you should tell him so?” Ginelle suggested.

            Thora stiffened, shaking her head immediately at the thought. “I couldn’t possibly!”

            “Lieutenant Cummings is very charming and kind; there is no harm in telling him how you feel.”

            Thora worried her bottom lip with her teeth as she considered this but nothing more was said on the matter as someone approached from within the hall. As Thora left the room, Dorian entered from behind, his blue eyes immediately finding Ginelle by the hearth and warming affectionately as he closed the door behind him.

            “I thought to find you still abed.” He leaned down and captured her lips gently teasing her bottom lip with his tongue that triggered an immediate response of arousal that trickled through her limbs like tiny flames.

             He reached over and pulled the silver lid from the tray to reveal her untouched breakfast and disapproval darkened his face. “You need to eat.” He ordered.

            Ginelle grimaced, “Do not order me about; I am not your wife yet.”

            A grin touched his mouth as he peered at her, his blue eyes twinkling. He set the lid aside and reached out to pull her gently to her feet and into his embrace. “When you are my wife, fair one, you will submit to my every whim.”

            She felt her anger rising but as quickly as it arose; she caught the flicker of amusement dancing wickedly in his blue stare and lightly pummeled his chest. He laughed and gently seized her wrist to press butterfly kisses to her knuckles.

            She resisted a smile as he released her and stepped away. She stared at his broad back a moment before asking, “Who were you talking too?”

            “His name is Jon Benedict. I purchased your mare from him.”

            Her brow arched curiously, “Do you plan to buy from him again?”

            He shook his head, “He plans to buy from me.”

            Suddenly remembering the laborers standing aside she gasped, “Surely you don’t mean to sell your laborers to him?”

            Surprised by her reaction, Dorian turned around to her. “That is exactly what I had planned to do.” He frowned, “You are not pleased?”

            “Pleased? Why would I be pleased?” she cried, suddenly outraged, “These are lives that you are passing back and forth like chattel.”