Taken

Chapter One- Scully

Scully opened the door to the basement office she shared with her partner, Mulder. Currently, he was sitting behind the only desk in the room with his feet propped on the surface. His glasses were perched precariously on the bridge of his nose. "Good morning Scully." He greeted her with his usual smile and stood up to his impressive height of six feet. He handed her the file he was reading and said, "It's our new case. We'll be flying out tomorrow."

Scully opened the file and rifled through the papers in it. There were eight in total, information on 5 men and 3 women. Scully flicked through the pages quickly absorbing the information. "A serial killer Mulder? This doesn't exactly sound like your usual case of choice."

"Yes, well, if you read on you find the cause of death for all the victims. They were all mangled and beat to death. The few witnesses have testified that the victims were seen with a blonde man or woman with green eyes before they mysteriously disappeared."

"So?" Scully questioned.

"All the victims have been witnesses to the kidnapping of the other, except the first one. The second one was witness to the first and so on. The last witness, the one that saw the last victim is Mary Wilkerson, age 48. We'll be staking out her place in case the killer comes back for her."

"Great," She sighed and went home to pack her clothes.

***

Scully arrived at the airport at 12 p.m. sharp. Glancing at the ticket in hand, she headed for Gate G14. After spotting Mulder in the crowd boarding the plane she joined him quickly. After getting into the window seat beside Mulder, Scully took a book out and prepared for the one hour and thirty minute flight to Greenville, South Carolina. She must have dozed off because the next thing she knew Mulder was shaking her shoulder gently.

"Scullllyyy... Scullyyy... Wake up..." Blinking her eyes open, she gazed up at Mulder's green ones. He already held her suitcase and jacket in hand as he held his own luggage in his right.

"Thanks." Mulder being Mulder, he wouldn't let Scully have her suitcase back, insisting instead on carrying it himself. Sighing, she grabbed her coat, leading Mulder out into the late afternoon sun of Greenville. Cabs rushed past and, stepping up to the curb, she signaled for one. Soon, they were on their way.

They were dropped off at the Red Barn Inn after three hours. The traffic was heavy with commuters and since it was June, not many motels were available with vacancies. Walking up to the counter of the manager, they found out that the Red Barn had only one more room available and would have to move to another Inn to find two available rooms. "Are you sure you don't want to try the Super 8 down the road Scully? There may be more vacancies there." Mulder looked down at Scully.

"Oh no sir, that place filled up before us," The tiny, balding man interjected quickly.

"Well then how about the-"

Scully looked up at Mulder and smiled reassuringly. "It's fine, Mulder. We'll just share a room, thank you." She accepted the key from the employee and led Mulder up the two flights of stairs to room 65. She unlocked the door leading into the small room. Curtains hid the windows, casting dark shadows across the dark green carpeted floor. The room was painted a garish red with white trim. There was only one large bed, a small table with a T.V., armchair, and a small closet space. Another door led to the bathroom. Mulder closed the door behind him and looked around. He dropped both their bags into the closet and looked at Scully. He shifted uncomfortably and said, "I'll just sleep on the floor then." The digital clock next to the bed read 5:10.

"Mulder, you don't need to do that, it's fine. We can share the bed." Scully said, though inside, she felt nervous. Seriously, who wouldn't feel nervous sharing a bed with your partner in the FBI?

"Are you sure? I can just put the extra blanket on the floor and sleep there." Scully smiled and shook her head.

"You're fine." At least she would be sharing the bed with her nice, considerate partner. It could be worse. "I'll just go shower and we can watch something on T.V."

They did just that, after their showers. Scully had opted to wear a pair of blue silk pajamas while Mulder had on an old grey shirt and fleece pajama pants. Scully chose to watch the movie, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Surprisingly, Mulder even chose to drop the files for their case (which he was rereading yet again) and watch the movie with her. After the movie, they both stood and brushed their teeth, getting ready for bed.

At nine fifteen, Scully climbed into bed and tossed the covers over herself. She carefully tucked her legs in to make sure Mulder had enough space for his long ones. Mulder switched the light off and lay on the opposite side of the bed from his partner. Soon, they both fell into a deep sleep.

Scully woke, shivering and cold. Her breath came in cool puffs of air. As her eyes adjusted to the light, she read the clock. 1:23. Scully hugged her arms tightly, trying to warm up. Her skin was cold to the touch and didn't heat up, no matter how many times she rubbed it. The creaking of the bed echoed in the dark as Mulder stood. Scully saw his tall dark form as he headed to the thermostat in the corner of the room. He pressed a few buttons, then banged his hand on the wall.

"It's broken and it's stuck at 38 degrees." Mulder climbed back into bed, just a little closer than before. Scully turned away and curled up tighter, gripping the blanket against her. The bed shifted again. "Scully, if we don't warm up, we're going to get hypothermia." Soon, she felt his strong arms wrap around her small, thin frame. His body pressed into her back, full of warmth. Unable to stand the cold she leaned into him and gripped his hands in her own. His head was just a few inches from her own and nestled into her hair. Scully didn't mind however. She was already asleep.