15; Darts, alcohol, and tears

Start from the beginning

"You're gonna regret this!" I say, collecting my own darts.

She looks at me over her shoulder. "We'll see."

"Alright, who's going first?"

"I will." She pushes past me and stands behind the line, pointing her right foot forward. I watch as she lines up the dart and I cough loudly, throwing her off guard.

"Watch it, or this dart will be in your eye," she warns.

I laugh. "Oooh!"

She rolls her eyes and goes back to focusing on throwing her dart. I notice she's hovering it over by the number 6.

"You're supposed to be aiming for the 1, Princess."

"I know that!"

She throws the dart and it hits the number 20, only a few inches away from the number 1. I blow out some air from my mouth. She lines up another dart, throws it, and lands it again on number 20, edging closer. Her last dart hits number 1.

"Your turn," she smiles, collecting her darts.

I take my place and line up my dart. I throw it and it lands on number 4.

"Ouch," Violet says.

"I'm just warming up," I snap.

I throw my second one and it lands on number 20. My third lands on number 3.

"Excuse me," Violet pushes past me. "I need to try and hit number 2. Because I already hit number 1."

I just roll my eyes.

She throws her three darts, and the third one hits number 2.

Fuck, I think to myself, this might be a problem.

"I'm starting to like this game!" She cries.

"Oh, shut it."

By the time I finally hit 1, Violet's on number 4. I'm starting to think she's pretty good by the time she's at 10, and I'm only at 6.

"You're kind of good at this," I say, taking my place to throw my next turn.

"Kind of?" She laughs. "I'm killing it!"

I look at her and laugh myself. "Who would've thought? Violet playing darts?"

She pulls a face. "It's my secret talent."

"It has to be beginner's luck," I say. "There's no way else you could be beating me!"