22 Birthday Boil

**** Everyone was in agreement that another day of play was badly needed. There had been so much pain and heartache of late. A few days of joy would be a real treat and a reward for sticking together. It was also another celebration of the weddings. Some of the hands had not made it to the wedding, but today they would join in the feasting.

Lillie and Kassi had both jumped at the idea to learn cajun cooking. Every kitchen was busy preparing foods for the boil. There were 40 lbs of red potatoes quartered, 20 lbs of onions halved. 4 bushels of corn on the cob, whole garlic, red and yellow peppers quartered, halved mushrooms and mounds of broccoli florets. Lillie had insisted on adding baby carrots, sliced celery and cauliflower.

Nico had ordered 200 lbs of Crawfish from a shop he had found quite by accident in Butte. Beau had added 40 lbs of lobster and 20 lbs of smoked sausage.

Yancy himself was dumping the Crawfish into large wash tubs, adding salt and spraying them with water. Nico explained that this was purging the crawfish. The salt made them let go of the mud they held in their mouths and the water helped wash it away. The troughs were drained of the salt water and refilled until it ran clear.

Hands from all over the ranch had brought their propane cookers and grills. Lillie and Nico had divided the food for the boilers ensuring everyone would eat together. As the pots of water began to heat Nico added the Cajun seasonings to each, some more than others as the Cajun heat was not tolerated well by everyone.

"Uncle Nico," Ava said pulling on his arm and looking up at him adoringly, "Nana said the potatoes and carrots are nearly done."

"Aaaiiiii! It be almos' time ta eat ma sweet," he said as he whirled the wheelchair around, bent and kissed her cheek soundly and started over to the boilers.

Several of the cowboys came to help lift the containers of Crawfish and poured them into the tubs of vegetables. "Den we use de paddles to push dem down into de wate', put de covas back on and boil for a-nutha 15 minutes."

He grinned and dramatically began to push and stir with the passle. "We put de crawfish in de wade' an' we poke em aw-w down," He grinned at Ava and began to sing, "we put de crawfish in de wade' an' we poke 'em aw-w down, we put de crawfish in de wade' an' we poke 'em aww down, we put de......." Others around him smiled, laughed and began to sing along with him.

Kaylee grinned. "Me and Ava put the newspapers on the picnic tables." She peaked into the pot as the crawfish were poured in and gasped. "Rowdy! Those are crawdads, and...... they're moving!"

Brett and Trish joined the group. Gen tried not to laugh at her niece's shock. Her fiancé however wasn't so accommodating.

Nico's Cajun accent deepened after he caught his breath from laughing. "Of course, ma petit amour" (my little love). "We can't kill'em first. I'll teach y'all how to eat de crawfish Ca-jon style. Der be a technique, an' trust me ma belle when I tell ya it is sooo worth it. Now if your péré will help me wit' de pot, I'll ask dat you round up de others. Dis won't take long now."

Bobbi and Gen watched as their niece ran into the kitchen like a streak. They could clearly hear her yelling, "Nico is cookin' these poor crawdads alive!"

Genny chuckled, "Did you see how big her eyes were? I swear they took up her entire face."

Bobbi grinned at her younger sister. "All the kids are exited about this picnic. A real Cajun Crawfish Boil. Even mom's taking notes."

Brett laughted as he wrapped his arms around both his sisters. "So is Kassi. She's determined to get into culinary school and learn Cajun, Southern Cuisine, bbq and grilling as well as baking, pasteries and decorating. So she's on cloud nine right now. Calls it off the job training."

The entire group laughed as the sister in question walked out toward Nico reading a Cajun cookbook.

"Hey, Nico! I think there's a special delivery for ya." Beau called out. "I think you have to sign for it personally."

Puzzled, the agent was searching his memory, frantically trying to remember what he had ordered that had come so late. Bear's suv came around the side of the main house and stopped. The huge Native American Deputy and Reserve Army Ranger walked around and opened the front passenger door. He helped a pretty, petite young woman out of the seat.

Nico noticed that the county deputy had eyes only for the passenger and was surprised and thrilled when a young woman walked around the door. She smiled up at the tall man and thanked him before turning toward her brother. Gwyn's face lit up when she spotted Nico walking, then running toward her.

"Gwynevere!" He yelled and laughed as he grabbed his little sister up in a bear hug and twirled her around till they were both dizzy.

"I thought you couldn't make it ma belle!"

"The class I was signed up fo' was cancelled and rescheduled. So I thought a lil' vacation b'fo' I got down to de serious studyin' was called for." He sat her on the ground and hugged her again.

"It's still ok isn't, Nico?"

"Ah, ma petite bébé, it could not be mo' ok. I'm so glad to have ya here." And gave her another hug. Then turning to the crowd he called Genny to his side and took her hand.

"Genny, this here lovely young lady is ma lil' sista, Gwyn. Gwyn dahlin' this is ma fiancé, Genny." He introduced her to the crowd and holding the ladies he loved most by the hand he walked back toward the tables between them.

"You come jus' in time, cher. We wus jus' about to take de crawfish to de tables and eat." He gave her another hug. "I am sooo glad you came, cher. I have missed you an almighty lot!"

Gwyn hugged him back, "I missed you too. I was glad when the classes were rescheduled so I could come." And then whispered, "Thank you fo' sendin' the plane ticket and expense money, Nico."

"Any time ma sweet," he answered.

"We have a room ready for you in the main house here," Genny told her future sister. "Would you like to freshen up a bit before you eat?"

"Thank you, but Deputy Bear stopped by his Grandma's house after pickin' me up at de airport and she let me freshen up there."

"I think dere has been some subtafuge a goin' on behin' my back." The Agent said lookin' at the two young women who merely grinned and Genny added.

"Surprise! Gwyn just happened to call the day your cell phone fell out of your jacket. Her classes had just been cancelled and we decided to surprised you."

"Thank you mi amour. It's the best surprise I've had in a long, long time." He searched for and looked over at Bear. "An' thank you Bear fo' bringing ma sista to me safe an' sound."

Bear merely nodded before adding, "It was my pleasure. She's the best lookin' prisoner I've ever had in my vehicle." His admiring gaze took in Gwyn's smile and beautiful hazel eyes.

Rowdy and Brett, Beau and Tad were just dumping the crawfish, corn, and potatoes on the two picnic tables when Nico his lovely ladies, the hired hands and the rest of the family joined them.

They topped the evening with toasts for the engaged couples and wishes of many years happiness. Brett was officially welcomed back home in style and Genny blew out the candles of a huge sheetcake.