32 Final Show Down

**** Rodriguez couldn't believe what he had seen this day. Those heathens had slaughtered his fur babies. He didn't think any of his wonderful wolves had lived through the battle. He didn't know if any if his men had gotten away or not and that included Juan. The only rustlers he knew that were alive were being guarded by the Navy SEALs. What had happened to his wonderful plan? He was going to take Beau Blanton down! The stupid coyboy was supposed to have begged for his daughters lives and handed over the ranch to ensure their return before he died.

Now, the girls had excaped, he had overheard the Navy Chief check on them. He had received confirmation that both were being well guarded and were comfortable.

It was all falling apart! Well, he wasn't going to lay down and take it. He'd still take Blanton down, challenge him, call him out. Man to Man. He'd beat the rodeo cowboy to a bloody pulp and just before he walked away, he'd pop the little antique Derringer out of the secret holster on his forarm and plug him between the eyes. Not very sporting as Blanton would readily agree to no weapons, buuuut, sometimes a man l had to take precautions, stack the cards in his favor.

Besides, the cowboy was too much of a goodie too shoes, made him sick. He was way too much his father's son to be anything less than honorable.

He knew he'd no doubt be shot down by a dozen weapons, but at least he'd die with the knowledge that he had bested two of the Blanton's. Success on his terms, amd even more so if he managed to get away.

"You might as well come out, Beau. Let's lay our weapons down, meet me on the field of battle. Winner takes all." Rodriguez invited magnanimously.

"The man's out of his mind, Beau. You can't do it." Rowdy told him. Beau had stopped the bleeding with the help of one of the hands with medical training. Rowdy's arm had been bandaged and he was feeling no pain thanks to Morphin.

Beau looked at his lifelong friend and shook his head. "He's not gettin' outa this alive, Rowdy. Goin' to prison's too easy for 'im. With his contacts he'd manage to get out or send someone after us. We'll nwver be free of him unless he dies."

"Beau." Brett said into the walkie, "Don't do it, bro. You'll play fair - he'll say he will, but ya know he won't."

"I can take 'im," Beau assured both men as he stood and faced Rodriguez.

"Step out in the open and let me see you throw your weapons down, Rodriguez."

"Oh, you have been doing some very clever homework, haven't you?" His mother's former husband said airily. He stepped out and made a show of throwing his rifle, pistol and knife on the ground.

"There. I am completely unarmed." He spread his arms wide. "Now we can see who is the better man."

"Oh we know who'll be the last man standing Rodriguez and you won't be goin' to prison. You end....right here." Beau stated pointing to the ground.

"Aaah. That cowboy courage and self confidence. Sooo like your father." He sneered, trying to anger Beau into not thinking clearly and making mistakes that would give him an advantage. But he forgot the most important thing. Beau was trained to keep his mind clear and focused in the worst of circumstances.

"Thank you." Came the unexpected answer. "I like to think I'm like my father, he was a man I've always tried to live up to."

"Yes, well." Rodriguez narrowed his eyes and said cunningly. "Well, you did at least live, didn't you?"

"Are you gonna, 'face me in the field of battle,' as you put it, or are you just tryin' to talk me ta death?"

Beau wanted to put a bullet right through his lieing, thieving, murdering heart. His anger at Rodriguez' jibe had hit it's mark, but he was determined not to show it or allow it to affect his thinking. He forced his mind to snap back into combat mode. He was once again a Ranger doing his duty.