Chapter Thirty-three

The maid had gone screaming from the house on Richard's orders to get a doctor as quickly as he could although he knew it was of little use. Pressing his head against her chest he could not make out a heartbeat. He held her in his arms and brushed her wild hair from her face. She looked serene, almost at peace and for the first time, Richard could see the beauty his Father must have fallen in love with.

Gently he picked her up and laid her on the bed. What to do now? She was the last connection to whatever happened with Cecilia. He took note of the bottle of Laudanum, the morphine and opium at her bedside. How much had she taken? What had her so shaken?

----------

Juliana and Cyril watched the house from the alley across the street. They had seen Richard forcibly gain entry into his Stepmother's flat. Juliana nervously paced waiting for him to return. Her nervous nature starting to rub off on Cyril, who felt the anxiety starting to build within him.

Several more minutes had passed. "Why does he not return?" Juliana said facing Cyril.

"I am certain his mother and he have much to discuss," Cyril said trying to be the voice of reason.

Then the door burst open and a young woman came out screaming for a doctor, anyone who could help.

Before Cyril could react Juliana was already at a run, darting for the house. "Juliana, look out!" he screamed.

The driver of the hackney carriage pulled back on the reins, the horses in the lead reared up from the pressure, their hooves waving wildly in the air.

Juliana had but seconds and feebly covered her head with her hands, knowing she was about to be trampled when the force of a body knocking into hers stole the breath from her lungs and she landed on the other side of the street. Cyril on top of her.

"Are you well?" Cyril asked scanning over her. Juliana just nodded not having the breath to speak.

Cyril stood, and helped her to her feet. "Anything broken?"

Juliana just shook her head in the negative, and then like a shot she remembered why she was in such a hurry. "Richard?" his name came out with a rush of air she forced from her lungs. And she went running again. Cyril close on her heels.

Richard was taken aback when two figures burst through the door. He readied himself for a fight but then he recognized Cyril and his Juliana.

She threw herself at him, "You live! Oh, God Richard! I was so afraid."

Richard crushed her to him. "I am afraid not all of us are so lucky, Love."

Juliana looked up in Richard's face trying to discern the meaning of his words. Richard stepped aside and there lay the lifeless form of Lady Catherine.

"Dear God! What happened?" Cyril asked.

Richard motioned to the bottles on the nightstand. "Choose your poison."

Cyril read over the bottles. All things Lady Catherine could pick up without prescription from a local market. Most given for minor medical maladies but taken in combination or possibly in large doses could be fatal.

"Was she?" Juliana could not bring herself to say the words.

"No, but she was not coherent either. She thought I was my father. She was highly agitated. I just wish I knew what could have brought on such a state."

"Lord Bentley!" the servant had called from the hall. "The Doctor is here."

"Take Juliana, Cyril. I will meet you at Pulteney Bridge. Keep her safe and hidden until we can get her back in normal dress." Richard warned and Cyril took Juliana by the hand to lead her out of the room.