Chapter Nine

Life is grand, was all Lady Catherine could think as she waited for the return post from Annabelle. She relieved Juliana from her household duties letting her know she would need time to heal, for Annabelle's brats were a handful she heard. Soon with Juliana out of the house, Richard could focus more on Cecilia, which Lady Catherine believed was his perfect match.

She expected news from the Chase family any day now considering the events of a particular evening. She would expect Cecilia's father to demand that Richard set the record straight and with her knowledge of Cecilia's secret, her place at Bentley Manor will forever be secure. No, life most certainly did not get any better.

"A letter for you Marm," said the new chambermaid she had hired. "Well give it here child," the young girl raced it over to her. Lady Catherine read its contents with complete satisfaction. "Tell Anna I wish to see her directly." Lady Catherine informed the new girl, who darted from the room to fulfill her Mistress's order.

"You wanted to see me?" Juliana asked as she entered the den. Lady Catherine was sitting behind her desk.

"Sit." she commanded pointing to the leather chair with the brass studs located across from her. Juliana sat using only the very edge to rest upon. 

"I have news from Annabelle. She is simply thrilled to have you join her brood over at her home in London. She asks that you be sent straight away, claiming she needs all the help she could possibly get. I have made arrangements for you to catch the next coach to London. You will be leaving tomorrow morning. Seeing that you do not own very many things I should think that adequate time to pack. I have also arranged for a small stipend to be granted to you so that you may purchase a new outfit or two. I would not wish you to show up in the rags I have seen you wearing about this house and Annabelle's husband is a very shrewd man so I suggest you make your first impression count."

She tossed the bag of coin across the desk to Juliana. Juliana stood to take her leave. "Will there be anything else?" she asked taking the coins from the desk. "Just one more thing. I would like you to inform Annabelle to make arrangements to clear her calendar in a few weeks. I believe her brother is about to make his announcement of his betrothal to Cecilia Chase. I will need her help with the wedding plans."

"Very well," Juliana said as she left the room. 

Juliana was so anticlimactic. She took the fun out of everything. Lady Catherine pouted slightly at Juliana's lack of reaction to her news. "Oh, well." she giggled "No bother. One can not have everything."

Juliana did spend some of the money Lady Catherine gave her on getting a new dress but the rest she decided to save just in case she may need it at a later time. Packing what few belonging she had took no time at all, she decided not to wear her new dress but choose a sensible traveling frock instead. She would save the dress for her meeting with Annabelle and Cyril Kane. Figuring she may need it to bolster her confidence.

Taking the last look around the room she noticed the book sitting on the desk. 'King Arthur's Court' how she loved when Lord Bentley would read from those pages and making the stories come alive. She gathered up her belongings and picked up the book. She had one more thing to do before she left.

With her baggage waiting on the front stoop she went up the stairs to the west wing library. As she entered the library she had to take one last look and say her good byes to a truly great man. So many wonderful memories were held in these walls. She believed it to be the only happy place in the Manor.

Tracing her fingers over the volumes she found the place to return King Arthur's Court and slipped it back onto the shelf. Kissing her finger lightly she touched the spine of the book. "Oh, dear Lord Bentley. How I miss you so," she said as she sighed with a heavy heart and went to take her leave.

"How can you miss me if you have not yet left?" was the voice she heard from the shadows of the Library but this was no voice from beyond the grave that spoke to her. In fact, he was all too real flesh and blood. He had been sitting on one of the high wingback chairs by the fireplace. From her vantage point in the room she did not see him there until he rose to speak to her.

"You were going to say goodbye to my Father who has been dead ...what? Eight...Nine years now but you had no plan to say goodbye to me? Did you Anna?"

Richard stared at her as if he was looking right through her.

"I am sorry if I offended my Lord," Juliana began, "I had not realized you would wish me to say goodbye. We have not known each other long."

"You told me you had not known my Father long either but here you are?"

"Well I came to return the book you gave me. It belonged to your Father's collection. I believed that is where it should remain. Your Father had always been kind to me."

Richard crossed the Persian rug to stand before her. "Was I not kind to you?" Richard asked fingering a curl that had escaped it confines of her bun. She wanted to answer but was stopped by Richard's finger drifting to her lips. "Shh!" he said, "I will not ask you to perjure yourself. I know I have not, but perhaps I can leave you with a different picture of me before you go."

Richard rested one hand at the back of her neck and pulled her closer to him, using his other arm to encircle her waist. He held her in place, and lowered his lips to hers. His kiss was so gentle and held with it such longing Juliana felt her heart break in two. He made short work of the pins that held her hair in place allowing the length of it to cascade over his arm. He ran his fingers through its length.

"How long I wished to do this," he whispered in her ear as he stroked her hair. She felt weak. She loved this man. Of that she had no doubt, but their time and place will never be. Her dreams of having him for her own died with everything else she cared about in that fire.

"Oh, Anna." Richard held her close. "How am I to let you go?" he asked, choking on the emotion of his words.

Juliana kissed him back, placing in that kiss all that she had wished for that will never come true and then she answered him. "You will let me go, because like me, you have no choice." There was a knock on the door.

"Yes," Richard called out as he reluctantly released Anna from his embrace. Albert entered.

"Miss Anna's coach is here. I was going to ask if you have seen her but I see that is not necessary."

Scrubbing at her eyes with the back of her hand Juliana smiled at Albert. "Thank you," she said to Albert. She took a step away from Richard and she curtseyed in front of him. "And thank you my Lord. All the best with your future." With what resolve she had left she walked out of the room and his life forever.