Blessings

Thranduil stood absolutely still in the shade of an ancient tree in the common gardens, his icy-blue eyes fixed on Tinnueth and Esgaron. The sight of them together set his heart on fire. Esgaron touched her cheek gently and pulled her close as he leaned in to kiss her. Pictures flashed through Thranduil's mind, reminding him of the moment he had seen Legolas kiss Esteleth. As he snapped out of his memories he saw Tinnueth with closed eyes, awaiting the moment their lips would meet. The king clenched his hands to fists and his body stiffened. He was foaming with rage. He watched Esgaron closing his eyes as their lips were about to touch...

"No!"

Esgaron and Tinnueth, utterly startled, turned their heads towards the king who had stepped out of the shadows. Thranduil was now standing in the moonlight, his presence proud and intimidating, yet the young elves seemed unimpressed by the king's appearance. The two lovebirds looked up at the king, obviously upset by his interruption.

Thranduil himself was surprised that he had spoken his thoughts aloud. Yet the king did not hesitate a moment, but walked over to them and freed Tinnueth from Esgaron's embrace. His stern glance fell on Esgaron.

"Have you asked her father for his blessings"?

Esgaron was confused at first, but then he shook his head. Thranduil sighed and looked at the ellon with an amused expression.

"Even though an elleth has the freedom to choose her husband, the ellon should always ask her father for his blessings. This is a matter of respect." The king eyed Esgaron from head to toe with displeasure.

"I am sure that your feelings for the elleth have clouded your wit momentarily. I understand that."

Thranduil smiled smugly at the young ellon while he continued to hold Tinnueth by her wrist.

"Take my advice into consideration and ask her parents for their blessings before you try to kiss her again. This will ensure a better relationship between your families in the future."

For a moment the king turned his attention towards Tinnueth who had only eyes for Esgaron. Annoyed by her lovesick behaviour, Thranduil's gaze wandered back at Esgaron.

"I will guide the Lady back to her chambers."

Esgaron nodded and kissed Tinnueth's knuckles gently, before he let go of her hand.

"Please forgive me Tinnueth, but the king's words are full of truth. My judgment has been clouded by my feelings for you. I did not mean to disrespect you or your family in any way."

The elleth shook her head and smiled at him.

"Please do not worry, I do not feel insulted by your attention. And I am assured that my father will give our love his blessings."

Thranduil rolled his eyes in annoyance while his expression was disgusted. He let go of her wrist and took her by her hand, pulling her after him, leading her back inside the palace. When they had gone, Esgaron sighed and sat down on the bench. Fortunately the king had stopped him before he committed a mistake. He did not wish to anger Tinnueth's parents. Esgaron had always been sure that the king did not like him, but in this moment he thought that he might have been wrong with his assumption.

The king walked with Tinnueth along the corridors and thought about her words. She did not feel insulted by his misbehaviour, her father would surely bless their love... Those words had been poison to his ears. Thranduil had heard and seen enough for tonight. He let out a deep growl, making Tinnueth look up to him with concern. Thranduil was still holding Tinnueth's hand while they were walking up the long corridor towards their chambers. Her hand felt very soft and warm in his and he had to admit that her touch felt quite pleasant. She could have been his daughter. This thought brought a dark expression into his face. When they arrived at her door, the king bid her good night and waited until she closed her door. He turned to the direction of the guards and ordered them to guard her chambers. She was not permitted to leave them before breakfast. It was apparent that Belegur's restrictions had not functioned. Mere words did not result in her obedience. Thranduil would have to take Tinnueth's safety at night into his own hands.