Falling in love with the wrong elleth

The first thing Thranduil did next morning was to see his son. Legolas had just bathed and was about to dress himself when his father entered his chambers. Eyeing his son's body, Thranduil was pleased to see that the years of war and struggle had bestowed Legolas a more muscular build. He might still not be compared to his father's stature, yet he looked much more like a warrior now.

Moreover, Legolas had inherited his father's good looks. That was definitely to their advantage. Thranduil smiled with satisfaction. Legolas felt slightly uncomfortable under his father's stare. He felt the urgent need to cover his body and walked quickly over to his wardrobe to get some clothes. Thranduil stopped him.

"Legolas, you will wear this today!"

Legolas turned around and only then did he notice that his father had brought some clothes with him. He walked across to his father and looked at them. There was a pair of black leggings and a silver tunic. The prince glanced at his father's satisfied face.

"I do believe that you had them made especially for this occasion, am I right?"

Thranduil smirked at his son before his expression became stern.

"You're going to get dressed to impress. You have to make a good impression on the lady I have chosen for you. Go and get dressed and don't forget to wear your silver circlet."

Legolas frowned. He felt uncomfortable in the role of the prince who was obliged to impress someone he had never met. And this was exactly what his father wanted. Legolas ought to flatter an elleth he did not even know. Who could tell if he would even like her? There were some days when Legolas wished that he had stayed in Ithilien after the war. Today was one of those days. He got dressed and left his chambers with his father. They walked to the large dining hall which, for the next month, would be crowded with elves who hoped to find a partner. Legolas shuddered at the thought of being one of them, although he himself had actually no choice in regard to his spouse. His father had already chosen a bride for him.

They ate their breakfast with all the others while Thranduil led a lengthy conversation with Elrond and Celeborn. Legolas, terribly bored, let his eyes wander across the dining hall while he played around with his fork. There were many pretty ellith around him, however none of them seemed to impress the prince. He sighed and made an effort to listen to his father's conversation. Legolas had attended festivals of that kind in the past, only to depart after a few days. This time it would not be possible for him to run away as the festival was held in his father's halls. And his father would surely not tolerate his disobedience. He could not just run away from Imladris and Lothlorien as he had done before. Legolas sighed and dropped the fork onto the table. The elleth his father had chosen for him had apparently not yet arrived. He was glad about that. Secretly he wished that she would stay away. He had other things on his mind than marriage.

After their breakfast Legolas walked with his father to the main gate. Thranduil seemed greatly disappointed when the guards informed him that there was still no news of Lord Belegur. Despite his father's obvious dissatisfaction, Legolas himself felt relieved and smiled. He suspected that it was Lord Belegur's daughter that his father had chosen for him. They spent the rest of the morning together, dealing with special requests from certain guests until it was time for lunch. Thranduil was greatly annoyed by the requests and the multitude of questions during the past hour.

In the afternoon, Legolas found some spare time while his father was meeting with Elrond and Galadriel. He went back to his private chambers where he removed the circlet from his head and tossed it on his settee. He fell face first onto his bed and tried to relax. He turned around and lay on his back, massaging his temples, before he closed his eyes and enjoyed the quietness. The palace was filled up to the brim with elves. And it was unlikely that this would change for the next month. Legolas sighed and decided to remain in his chambers until his father called him. He deeply inhaled the fresh breeze which entered his bed chamber and thought about the long journey he had undertaken.