Caught in the act

Start from the beginning

"Yes. I can see that, too. I feel sorry for her. The prince is trying to impress Tinnueth. Even if whatever he is doing is wrong, it is obvious that Tinnueth has attracted his heart."

Istor placed his arm around his wife's shoulders and pulled her close.

"I wonder how this will turn out. Tinnueth is strangely close to Esgaron. She has never been so kind to him. I hope we will not have a love triangle to deal with. If so, I can see a drama of immense proportions coming. A prince against an ellon who has no royal status."

Galliel leaned against her husband's chest and smiled.

"Tinnueth does not care about any royal status. She is different. This might end very differently than we expect."

*****

Maldor pulled Esgaron away from the scene.

"Come, let us take a walk, my brother."

Esgaron was angered at his brother's suggestion, but then he had become annoyed, seeing the prince and Tinnueth. Sighing heavily, he turned his gaze away from them and walked together with his brother down the narrow forest path.

"To stay in the palace has many advantages."

"I don't care!" Esgaron was utterly frustrated.

"Oh, but you should."

Esgaron looked at his brother with annoyance.

"What do you mean?"

Maldor chuckled darkly.

"You hear a lot of rumours, and there are always some ellith around who are more than willing to gossip."

Esgaron did not understand his brother's words, but remained silent. When they had walked far enough to prevent being heard by other elves, Maldor suddenly stopped and held Esgaron's arm, his expression and voice serious now.

"What are you willing to do to make Tinnueth your wife?"

Esgaron was surprised by his brother's question.

"Whatever is necessary!"

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely!"

"Then come with me."

Maldor pulled Esgaron along with him and they left the forest path and walked through green ferns and mushrooms, quietly disappearing into the dense forest.

*****

Thranduil had left the elves around noon time and had returned to his halls. It was late afternoon when the elves had returned to the palace, and the guards reported to him that Maldor and Esgaron were missing. They had not returned to the halls with the others. Thranduil had been overjoyed by this news, even if he did not show it. He would not mind if the brothers had been killed by spiders or some straying orcs. But they were his guests and he was obliged to find them. Reluctantly he sent out two search parties to look for them.

Thranduil was in his study when the guard returned again and bowed to him.

"My king, we have found the brothers."

Thranduil narrowed his eyes.

"Have you questioned them about where they have been?"

The guard nodded.

"Yes, my king. They said that they had lost their way in the forest."

Thranduil arched an eyebrow and leaned forward, resting his elbows on the desk while eyeing the guard intently.