An unwise interrogation

Start from the beginning

"Lady Esteleth, what happened to your precious smile? Did you expect someone else?"

She blushed and lowered her face towards the ground. Maldor touched her chin, and moved her head up again, making her look into his eyes.

"Don't be so shy. We only wish to be given information on Tinnueth and her famiy's whereabouts. What can you tell us?"

Esteleth shook her head. She had never liked the brothers, and could not understand why Tinnueth had suddenly been so close to Esgaron. She had not yet told her friend about this, but she was greatly displeased by her behaviour.

Maldor stepped closer towards her, making her take a step backwards. She felt the cold stone wall behind her and lay her hands flat against it, looking up in fear at the large ellon whose figure towered above her. Maldor took another step towards her, leaving no more space between their bodies. She felt his breath on her forehead and her hands began to shake. He touched her cheek gently before he turned her head to the side, then he pressed her face roughly against the cold wall.

"Answer my question!"

Esteleth's body trembled in fear and she opened her mouth to speak when she heard a familiar voice.

"Get your hands off her, or I will cut them off."

She sighed in relief. Legolas had come.

The prince had seen her leave the dining hall and had followed her at a distance. He had listened to them and stepped in when Maldor cornered Esteleth. He drew his dagger and pointed the tip at Maldor's throat. Maldor reluctantly let go of Esteleth and turned around to the prince.

"We were just talking."

"I see. Talking is what you call this? Frightening an elleth? Touching her against her consent? You forget your place. You are in my father's halls. This type of behaviour has never, nor will it ever in the future be tolerated. Neither by me nor by my father. Stay away from her and if you approach her once more, you will be provided with new accommodation, and that will be in my father's dungeons. Now get out of my sight, before I change my mind and use my dagger!"

Legolas removed the blade from Maldor's throat, who hissed at him.

"You speak sharp words, prince. But was it not your own father who broke these very rules you speak of? You speak proudly, yet little do you know about your own life."

Maldor walked past Legolas, and stepped out of the niche. He noticed the king's presence. Thranduil looked at him in a calculating and cold manner. A shiver ran down Maldor's spine and he quickly walked away along with his brother. The king turned his gaze towards his son. Legolas was standing in front of Esteleth, who was still leaning against the wall. His hands cupped her blushed face and with his thumbs he wiped away her tears of distress. He spoke soothing words to her and touched his forehead onto hers. They stood there together, she weeping and he trying to comfort her. Thranduil's gaze turned cold. He straightened his back and walked away.

*****

Esgaron and Maldor reached their chambers, and Maldor laughed out after he had closed their door. Esgaron looked at him in confusion.

"What is so funny? You have brought the king's wrath upon us because of your stupid words."

Maldor continued to smile widely and embraced his brother. "You can't recognize love when you see it, can you?"

Esgaron shook his head, still baffled. "What are you talking about"?

"The prince loves Esteleth. And she loves him back. There is no obstacle in your marriage to Tinnueth anymore."