Ch. 19: Define Glance

~Saturday Morning: The Mall~

Autumn's POV:

Bree and I went to the mall to find a prom dress for the Freshman's Spring Dance. I picked out a blue dress, a mint green dress, and a white dress. Bree picked out a pink dress, a black dress, and a red dress. We tried them all on and chose the one we liked the best. (picture above)

As we were walking from the store to the food court, we saw Weston picking out a suit in a store with a girl. It wasn't his sister, and when she turned around, it was a girl from our school. "Looks like Weston has a date," Bree said. I was so glad he was able to move on. But that quickly? Anyways, at least he has a date to the dance.

"Two slices of pizza, please," I order for me and Bree at a food booth. After finding a table to sit at, coincidentally, Mark and Jacob walked up to us. "Hey, Bree," Mark said, sharing a kiss with her when he was sitting down. I felt Jacob's eyes on me and we shared a quick glance at each other.

"So what are you guys doing here at the mall?" I asked, biting into my pizza slice. When I put my pizza down, I saw Jacob trying to stifle a smile. "What are you looking at?" I questioned, raising one eyebrow higher than the other. Jacob reached over and wiped the side of my lips, and what came off was the tomato sauce of my pizza. "You're such a messy eater, Autumn," Jacob teased, and I replied, " Uh, excuse me? Why don't you think about yourself, Jacob?", pretending to be sassy by putting one hand on my hip. All 4 of us started to laugh.

~Saturday Night: Autumn's House~

I couldn't stop thinking about Jacob looking at me earlier today. But what did that mean? Jacob said he doesn't have feelings for me. He probably asked me to the dance because we were best friends.

~Time Jump to Monday Morning~

Jacob's POV:

I kept thinking about wanting to kiss Autumn last night and the night before. When Mark and Bree kissed, Autumn glanced back at me when I was staring at her. What did that mean? Autumn and I walked to school, and came up to Mark and Bree. As we were talking, some guys were walking by our group and were checking out Autumn, it seemed. I pulled Autumn closer to me. I couldn't put my arm around her to make it seem like we were a couple, because we weren't. And I wanted to badly. Autumn looked at me, confused. "Don't worry about it," I whispered to her. She nodded.

"What did you girls get for the dance?" Mark asked. Before Bree and I had the chance to reply, the bell rang.

~Monday: Lunchtime~

Autumn's POV:

I saw Weston nearby when I left the classroom of my previous class. I walked up to him and said, "Hey Weston." "Hey, " he replied, smiling. "Um, you should save that smiling for you date to the dance," I jokingly said. "Wait, how did you know about her?" then he gasped and said, "are you stalking me?" He was mocking me. Ծ_Ծ "Hey, I only said that because you were stalking me," I playfully retorted and asked, "anyways, who is she?" Weston grinned. "Someone's jealous," he joked. I folded my arms across my chest and turned away. He pulled me back around and rolled his eyes.

"Her name is Hailey, and we were close friends," he explained. "Were?" I asked. "We got into a huge argument about her thinking I was avoiding her last year, which I wasn't, and you could guess what happened next," he replied. Wow, clingy much?

I was surprised that he knew Hailey. Hailey hated me in elementary school because I was best friends with her crush. You know who he was. Hailey ignored me ever since.

"So how are you guys talking to each other now?" I asked. "Hailey went from clingy to more friendly when she approached me on Friday after school when you left," he replied. So he does think she is clingy. Wait. After school on Friday? The day I rejected Weston. Pictures of Weston forming tears in his eyes flashed in my mind.

Bree was motioning me to come over to her. Weston noticed. We said our goodbyes and I walked towards Bree. "What did you talk about?" she asked. "He was just explaining who the girl was at the mall, Hailey. Remember Jacob's admirer in elementary school?" I questioned. "Ah, the elementary school days. There was less drama and less stress from homework," Bree said, starting to change the subject. "Bree. Earth to Bree," I said, trying to get her attention. "What? Oh yeah, I remember that she-devil," Bree finally jokingly replied. We both smiled and laughed.

A/N: Hey guys....So you may have known (probably all of you lol) I haven't updated in like 2-3 months. I am truly sorry, really. Here is another update for those of you who are still there🙂, and probably a lot of you left because it seemed like I gave up this story. The truth is, I've been holding back on writing this story because I really don't want it to end, which it is very soon😫. I love you all💕, and I understand if you only came to my story because it's about Jacob, but if you truly do admire my writing, *self-promo* I have started to write a fantasy/sci-fi book "Unknown World, Unknown Girl" and it'll be appreciated if you checked it out! Love you all❤️

~JJ

P.S. Happy summer break!☀️