Chapter 6

3:00 am

The next thing I knew, we were surrounded.

It was all a blur. Drake had shifted in seconds and was under four or five different species of cats. My heart dropped as soon as I saw Zeke with his claws deep in Drakes shoulders. The cat was less that half his size and still overpowering him. I was starting to think that this friendship wasn't going to last much longer. 

I shifted as fast as I could and howled a battle cry to warn the rest of the pack a few miles away yet they'd arrive within minutes. 

I pounced on the nearest cat who was struggling on Drakes massive hindquarters. She was a large orange spotted cat - a jaguar - about half the size of Drake. I didn't want to hurt her too fatally, but I didn't want her to come back either. Easily wrapping my muzzle around her ribcage, I tore her off Drake and threw her to the side. She ran off yowling in pain in the direction of the approaching pack. Bad idea.

As I was choosing my next target, everyone froze. The sound of approaching wolves howling their battle song was muted by a muffled fight - that ended with a gurgling scream of a dying jaguar.

Drake howled for help. He was still being overpowered by 3 more cats. A full grown lion and tiger who were almost as big as Drake, and Zeke. The lion and tiger looked like they were doing the most damage so I aimed for the lion first who was trying to get past the massive wolfs' fangs to his neck. Drakes legs finally gave and he collapsed so I ran over to get to the lion but as soon as I jumped, I felt stinging needle like claws raking my back. Zeke.

Whipping around, I bit his paw and tore him off my flank. I never broke eye contact as wolves raced past us to Drakes side. 'Why are you doing this?' I asked Zeke. 'It wasn't me, I followed them I swear. I overheard some of them talking about finally taking out Lyndahll's son. I figured you'd be with him so I tagged along.' 'So you're saying you wanted to help?' I snarled and leaped for him but he jumped over me with ease and grace. 'No, i'm not saying that. I don't know what I'm saying, but I do know that theres going to be a war soon..'

Dark brown fur flashed in front of me and I caught Rikash's familiar scent. Both animals were barreling into the bushes so I followed. Rikash was about to make a killing blow, but without thinking I was already slamming him out of the way and helping Zeke up. Rikash bared his teeth at me. His head, tail and ears down, glaring at me. I stood up strait and puffed out my chest and returned the stare, he gave in and lowered his eyes, backed up and ran back to the fight. 

I turned around to tell Zeke we needed to talk later but he was already gone. The lion ran past me in a blur of golden and red fur, leaving the strong scents of fear and blood. 

Everything was quiet except the panting of Drake who was being propped up by Mack and Jace. The tiger lay motionless to the side.

Cedar and Stone were dripping in blood at Lyndahlls side as he was inspecting his son who could barely walk. I tried to take a few steps forward but I was too exhausted from the fight, I collapsed and everything went black.