Chapter 5: What Lies Underneath

Start from the beginning

I'm only a man with a candle to guide me,
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me.
A monster, a monster,
I've turned into a monster,
A monster, a monster,
And it keeps getting stronger.

Oooh, oh, oooh, oh, oooh oh.

A monster

Oooh

If I told you what I was,
Would you turn your back on me?
And if I seem dangerous,
Would you be scared?
I get the feeling just because,
Everything I touch isn't dark enough
That this problem lies in me

I'm only a man with a candle to guide me,
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me.
A monster, a monster,
I've turned into a monster,
A monster, a monster,
And it keeps getting stronger."

Jim furrowed his eyebrows, looking down. "Your gonna get through this, Jim." Merida says sternly, putting a hand on his shoulder. "How do you know that?" He croaks. "Because I have faith in you." She responds, embracing him tightly.

I watched to my surprise as he started to sob heavily. Merida dropped a few tears as her embraced tightened. "I promise you, things'll get better." She says. "I believe you." He sniffled, pulling away.  "God, you always get me so emotional when this happens." He chuckles, wiping away his tears.

She chuckled, wiping off hers.
"W-where's your dad?" He asks.
Merida looks down, "You know where." His smile disappeared.

I quirked an eyebrow as from my left I hear a car door slam. Looking over to see her Father, clumsily getting out of his car.

Merida gasps as her eyes widen, quickly getting up with Jim.
"You need to go, now!" She says with tears in her eyes. "What?! Mer, I'm not leaving you like this again!" Jim says as the footsteps become louder.

What the fuck is going on?!

"GO!" She commands. He looked at her with wide eyes. "Please..." She begged. Jim sighed and nodded, running towards the back door. I hear him slam the door shut as the front door opens, I duck lower.

"M-MERIDA, YoU BeTTeR NOT CaLL THE POliCE!" Her father yelled, going up and down with the tones of his drunk Scottish voice. Just as Merida was about to dart back up to her room, he grabs her arm, squeezing it tightly as it began to bruise.
She yelped in pain as he gripped her.

"Your the reason she left..." He growled, "...IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!" And with a loud bang, he pounded her onto the wall. Her nose began to bleed, she was bruised all over with cuts all over her arms.

She panted, looking up at him as he clenched his fist. "GET UP AND FIGHT!" He commanded
"I'm not going to fight you! I'll NEVER fight you." She cried out.
He screams, aiming his fists.
My eyes widened

I have to do something!

I ran for the front door, bursting it open as he angrily turned around to face me. "Mer! It's gonna be ok, I promise!" I tried my best to assure her, running over to her side. He grunted, attempting to push me away.
"IDIOT! YOU'LL PAY FOR MESSING WITH ME!"

"Hic!" Merida exclaims, pushing me out of the way as his fist slams her hard, pushing her back, unconscious on the floor.
"Merida!" I cried out, but before I could get to her, he grabbed me, laughing.

"Your insane!" I screamed. "Be quiet boy." He growls. I looked over from left to right, looking for something to defend myself with until my gaze finally stopped at a glass vase.