Chapter 42

{Jack's POV}

            "Hold still..."

            Jack grunted as he squinted his eyes, a blinding light shined directly into them. The chains rattled as he attempted to pull away from the light, turning his head away as much as possible. Tape was securely placed over his mouth, tugging constantly at his skin as he attempted to open it to speak, muting any protests and curses he had to offer.

            "Come now, Jacky..." There was a dark chuckle that made his blood run cold, and he slowly looked forward, glaring at the man who had held him prisoner. If not for these infernal chains he would have torn out this man's throat long ago... However, as it were he couldn't even open his hands fully without his fingers striking the metal balls they were encased in. Right now, Jack just wanted this guy to leave him alone and let him go.

             Of course, the man wasn't nearly that cooperative. Aiming the tiny flashlight into his hollow eyes, he began murmuring to himself. Semi-psychotic ramblings, of an intellectual nature. "No eyeballs, yet his 'eyes' seem to react the same way to bright light..." A red glow appeared in the hollows of Jack's sockets as he gave an annoyed grunt, the best he could do since he couldn't exactly growl with the tape on his mouth.

            After a few moments the light vanished and he relaxed a bit, only to flinch as there was another sudden bright flash of light. Squinting, he automatically moved to rub his eyes but, of course, he couldn't. Stupid chains. Jack grunted and shook his head as an alternative, only for that man to grab his head and hold it in place. Glaring at him, Jack saw he was holding up a camera. So THAT'S what that flash was...

             "Say cheese," the man chuckled. Jack groaned as there was another flash, and the man snapped many more pictures from various angles before finally setting down the camera. Relief flooded through Jack as he blinked rapidly, trying to get rid of all the bright spots on his vision. "You know, I'm curious... What about your eyelids?" At this point Jack's irritation vanished, replaced by surprise. Wait... what?

            Before he could react the man jabbed his finger towards Jack's left eye and stuck into it. Pain surged through Jack as the man felt around his hollow socket, his face scrunching up in agony. He began shaking and trying to pull his arms free, to shove the man's hand away, but he couldn't. The chains kept pulling tight and every jerking movement exacerbated the pain as the man's finger bounced around the inside of his eye socket.

            "Come on, hold still, Jacky... You'll hurt yourself." The man chuckled darkly as he tugged Jack's upper eyelid from the inside and pulled it up, causing him to suck in a sharp intake of breath as more pain shot through him. Raising the camera, the man smirked. "Say cheese, Jacky... Jack... Jack..."

            "Jack!" Suddenly Jack's eyes shot open as he felt himself being shaken. Instinctively he lunged, knocking his assailant to the ground with his hands around their throat. Below him was a pair of very wide [e/c] eyes set against a [s/c] face, full of surprise and confusion. For a moment he just hovered above the person, hands unmoving but still in place around their neck as he panted heavily.