6 | apple and sandwiches

Life is your canvas. Fill it with colour.

-Unknown-
________________________

Dedicated to fourtris_potter46 for a comment that I loved so much.

Cover made by emblyn_rose you should check out her book 'Paper Thin' it's really good, one of my favourite books.

Question: what's Matthew and Lila's ship name?
________________________

Please vote and comment :)

- M A T T H E W -

"Just put it in!" Lila exclaimed with a sigh, no doubt noticing my confusion as I hesitated with creased eyebrows.

"Are you sure I did it right?" I tilted my head to face her, my lips parting.

"Yes, I would've stopped you if you didn't." She replied, humour evident in her tone.

Unfolding the dollar I had in my hand, I straightened it out, slipping it into the correct slot. We were stood in front of the vending machine that was in the cafeteria, Lila leaning against the machine.

I wanted to try and pick the snack myself so I could do it by myself whenever Lila wasn't with me and since the numbers weren't in Braille, I had to memorise the position of the buttons I had to use. Third from the left and second from the bottom.

Hearing the chips packet fall to the ground, I leaned down, pushing the flap with my fingertips and collecting the bag. I grabbed Toby's harness, guiding him to follow Lila's footsteps.

It was recess and since I couldn't grab breakfast, I decided to come to the cafeteria and grab a snack. We had two periods already, only one of them being with Lila. My mom was right when she said that I had to give it a couple of days for people to approach me. People approached me, but we didn't have a conversation I was interested in. It's not like I didn't want to widen my circle of friends, but I was perfectly content with the triangle.

Once we reached outside, I heard a bottle fall to the floor before Lila clicked her tongue. "You were meant to catch it, Yasmine."

"Sorry."

"Hi, Matthew." A deep voice suddenly said, gaining my attention. "I'm Greg."

"The famous Greg Williams." I grinned, picking up on Yasmine's nervous squeak. "You're in most of my classes."

Lila subtly knocked on the back of my hand, snorting quietly. "You alright there, Yasmine?" she asked, her hand still brushing against mine.

I wanted to sit down, but she probably wouldn't sit beside me, meaning no more physical contact. I relished the little contacts, like her hand touching mine.

Being blind, I learnt to use my other senses quite well. I memorised people's scents or the pattern of the footsteps and how heavy they would walk. I would memorise the texture of things, being able to identify them with my hands.

Lila smelt faintly of apples and lavender, and picking up on the shower gel she probably used, it smelt of citrusy fruits. It made me wonder how it would feel like for her scent to encase me and put me in this trance. I would put my arms around her, my nose buried in her hair or hers tucked into the crook of my neck. But then again, she'd realise how fast my heart would be beating if her head was against my chest.