05 | Just Friends

They're staring mesmerized into each other's eyes, inching forward ever so slowly, less than a millimeter away from lip-to-lip contact. They're finally going to kiss! And then...

They don't.

"Nadine, okay ka lang? Mukhang may sakit ka," James placed his hand on Nadine's forehead, checking for any temperature. He gulped when he felt warmness. They were shooting a new commercial for 7-11 City Blends, not even halfway through with the shoot. James knew something was up with Nadine even before they started filming. Maybe it was the constant coughing or the subtle sniffling, but Nadine was doing her best not to say anything.

"I'm fine, maliit na bagay. Besides, we have a shoot to fi-" Nadine's sentence was cut off by her sneezing. James shook his head in disapproval.

"If that's fine to you, then I don't even want to know what bad is. Don't worry, I'll let the production staff know," He got up from his dressing room seat despite Nadine's protests. Nope, James wouldn't let her be on camera if she wasn't feeling good. She was persevering, he knew that. But her health should come first.

After letting one of the crew members know that Nadine was ill, they made up a compromise to continue the shoot next week. He made his way back to where Nadine was sitting in the dressing room, her head in her hands. She was obviously not okay.

"Here, Advil and a glass of water. Inumin mo 'yan," James instructed. Nadine did as told, gulping the medicine.

James took a seat next to Nadine. He was well aware that they were the only two people in the dressing room. It seemed as if there was a huge elephant in the room... of feelings not expressed and words left unsaid. This has been going on between them for a couple of months now. Well, in James' case. He didn't know if Nadine felt the same way about him.

"Thanks, James. You're always so kind to me," Nadine laid her aching head on James' shoulder. James reached out a hand to her hair, gently caressing her wavy locks.

Before he knew it, Nadine was staring at him with some sort of desperation, like she held a secret in her eyes. James didn't know if he was imagining it but it almost seemed like she was as desperate for him as he was for her.

James was mesmerized. If this was his last moment on Earth, he would be contented just looking into Nadine's eyes. He tilted Nadine's chin upwards, closer to his lips. Both of them were leaning in. They were inching closer to each other... and closer... closer. Less than a millimeter away from touching.

"Baka mahawa ka," Nadine suddenly whispered. She moved her head away.

"W-what?" James blurted out. He was stunned, not knowing what to say.

"I'm not feeling well, James. Ayokong mahawa ka sa akin," Nadine looked at him apologetically. James was just staring at her, frozen into place. His heart was beating rapidly.

He never hated germs as much as he did at that moment.