Chapter Twenty: Timeless [EDITED]

Start from the beginning

        “Then find some pretty, easily impressable young lady to bring.”

        “But you’re a lonely girl who nobody would date on account of the fact that you’re the most idiotic, stubborn, rude human being on the planet.”

        He smirks at me and I punch him lightly in the chest, “Just because I’m sick doesn’t mean I won’t kick your ass.”

        “What are you going to team up with my mum?” I laugh at him and he pretends to be shaking scared from even the thought of it.

        “You do know that most of the girls have no idea that we’re dating,” I say to him.

        “If they didn’t figure that out from the time you basically molested my ass on the field after the Saracens game then they’re all very stupid girls.”

        “I did not molest you in anyway that day,” I argue.

        “Your hands were practically down my pants!”

        “They were cold,” I say smirking back.

        “I’m not even the coach anymore so it won’t matter, I’m your plus one. It just happens that you snagged yourself the most gorgeous, tall, witty blonde Irish boy.”

        “Don’t forget your killer charm and lack of football skills,” I poke.

        “And my thing for pale girls,” he says start to tickle me gently.

        I fight to curl into him and he doesn’t resist, letting me catch my breath and finally fall asleep in his arms. Tomorrow would be a long day and I need the sleep more than anything.

-

-

-

        “What did the doctors say?” Brad asks, after being silent for two weeks I finally have his attention and I barely want it. I pause, taking a deep breath to keep from crying for the third time today.

        “I need a stem cell transplant,” I choke out.

        I can hear him huffing on the other side of the phone, he slams his hand into something before coming back to me. “So? Are you going to get one then?” He says urgently.

        “Mom came up negative, I have no other family to be tested. They’ll look through the public but the chances are slim to find anyone.”  He has no idea how hard I am finding to restrain my tears now.

        “Jean,” he whispers. “We don’t know if she’s a match.”

        “No,” I responded quickly and strongly. “I won’t do that to her, I know how it feels when it feels and I won’t put my life in her hands.”

        “She loves you more than anyone Sarah,” he says softly and I know hes about to start crying but he’s holding it back as well.

        “And I loved dad,” I say back too harshly. I cup my mouth with my hand and take a minute to control my emotions. “I loved him so much, too much and now look. He’s gone and I’m stuck knowing that no matter what I did, I couldn’t do anything to save his life.”

        “Sarah you spend hours with him, playing chess, watching movies. All he wanted to do was be happy in his last days and you gave him that. For fucks sake that’s all you could do for him!”